The deeper meaning of coin collecting

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Jul 3, 2012.

1. areich

areich America*s Darling

Celebrating Holidays with Special Coins!

[video=youtube;Bs_Rx-gYTTo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs_Rx-gYTTo[/video]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. areich

areich America*s Darling

Coins Help Children become more creative!

[video=youtube;a3Z1V-GA6PY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Z1V-GA6PY[/video]

4. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Love Potion #9 by The Tokens

5. areich

areich America*s Darling

I think I've come along to this view. I wanted it to be more, but the community is very difficult.

6. areich

areich America*s Darling

I'd always thought that a hobby in the arts would give people a deeper meaning of the human condition and the meaning of civilization. I'm not seeing evidence of that.

Mandy

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Mandy, Mandy, Mandy. Dear sweet Mandy. We're there. We understand the deeper meaning. Collecting, civilization, and the human condition go hand in hand,......but chocolate Hanukkah (youtube video) coins? Oh dear indeed.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Then maybe you are not looking in the right places ;)

9. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

Kring!!! Kring!!! Kring!! Hello! Mickey! How r u?

I will call my friend Mickey and introduce my two great presidents accidentally minted in US Mint. Hope it will be display in a Kids paradise and tell the whole great stories behind it that sometimes I become a hero for saving a child life of a wealthy family.
    [video=youtube;DjUjvVJ2sbQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjUjvVJ2sbQ[/video]

10. areich

areich America*s Darling

Perhaps. This seemed like the largest community available for involvement.

11. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

"The arts" generally refer to the "expressive" or "communicative" arts—literature, the visual arts, music, theatre, etc. I would consider coinage, while having visual and historical aspects, the domain of commerce.

A "deeper meaning of the human condition" generally results through the empathy we feel with the creator of something: a novel, piece of music, sculpture. These things are unfettered by utility, such as the utility that coinage performs.

So, again, are you looking in the right place?

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not quite what I meant. My point Amanda is that it is not realistic to expect to find it in everyone. Or even to find it to be a pervasive condition. But just because you don't find it in everyone does not mean that it is not present in some ;)

13. areich

areich America*s Darling

Most of the arts, including the greatest works, are utilitarian.

14. oval_man

I'm not exactly sure what you mean in response to my post. By choosing the examples of "a novel, piece of music, sculpture," I stayed firmly within (our contemporary notion of) "fine art" and purposely avoided "design." Design is of course utilitarian but its utility is also what compromises its expressive potential.

Or, by "utilitarian" are you referring to the service of an object or image to a religious or spiritual end, such as the Venus of Willendorf as a talisman or pre-Renaissance Western painting as a mechanism of the Church? This would be a bit of a stretch of the term.

I'm happy to have this conversation with you but let's be sure we're starting from the same place so we don't cross-communicate.

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Really? The Parthenon was what? :)

16. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

This just went so far over my head, I'm not sure I even saw it.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Contemporary Deli..........

I didn't say that. The :devil: did.

18. areich

areich America*s Darling

How about an ancient red vase?

[​IMG]

19. areich

areich America*s Darling

http://www.moma.org/explore/collection/architecture_design

[h=1]ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN[/h]

[h=3]IN THE ONLINE COLLECTION[/h]
    [h=3]RELATED LINKS[/h]

i

The world's first curatorial department devoted to architecture and design was established in 1932 at The Museum of Modern Art. From its inception, the collection has been built on the recognition that architecture and design are allied and interdependent arts, so that synthesis has been a founding premise of the collection. Including 28,000 works ranging from large-scale design objects to works on paper and architectural models, the Museum’s diverse Architecture and Design collection surveys major figures and movements from the mid-nineteenth century to the present. Starting with the reform ideology established by the Arts and Crafts movement, the collection covers major movements of the twentieth century and contemporary issues. The architecture collection documents buildings through models, drawings, and photographs, and includes the Mies van der Rohe Archive. The design collection comprises thousands of objects, ranging from appliances, furniture, and tableware to tools, textiles, sports cars—even a helicopter. The graphic design collection includes noteworthy examples of typography, posters, and other combinations of text and image.

20. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Deep thoughts on coin collecting?????

These guys are good at collecting coins............

. 34_Hari_Krishna-428x314.jpg

21. oval_man

The Parthenon is a work of architecture. Architecture is functional by nature—it has to accommodate us to whatever end we demand of it. (If that's what you're saying "really?" about).

Draft saved Draft deleted