The Cliquishness attitudes...........

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 19Lyds, Mar 12, 2012.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Hey, 'New at this'? We like you. :)

Now that Onecoinpony guy? Never liked him......he's always makin' fun of me.......:devil:

J/k :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

[video=youtube;xa56FHqCEE8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa56FHqCEE8&feature=related[/video]

4. green18

Oh dear. Was that meant for me Kasia.......LOL

5. Kasia

[video=youtube;uof2V1jCDcI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uof2V1jCDcI[/video]

6. green18

#1 daughter's gonna love that video Kasia (extreme 'cat person').......:)

Heck. Me too. :)

7. Kasia

Hilariously funny. I think the cat that slapped the kitten was the mom cat. Misinterpreting the hat on the kitten as making the kitten appear different.

It's all good. We can get along, but there's always bumps in the road, so to speak.

And a kinder, gentler forum?????? Or a friendlier one?

IDK. It won't happen overnight, even with your dust spreading pixie pixie1.gif . And there's always two sides to the story, so if one person is griping about one thing, chances are the other will have an entirely different version.

But the mods are out there:

Show Me Where The Bullies Are.jpg

8. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

I remind myself (when I read snarky remarks) that this is the internet; this is not personal. If the remarks are "too much" for me and what I believe is civil, I bug out. There is a banter here on CoinTalk that is often welcoming. A newcomer has only to 'look around' to see who can take what kind of remarks, and who makes what kind of remarks...personalities show through postings. I agree that it is up to each of us to make CoinTalk a little bit better for our being here.

With regard to the OP's point, yep, there is some clique-ishness here on CoinTalk. But not too much. If one sticks around long enough, they'll figure out which areas to stay away from. That's just part of life, people. Good advice I have read so far, don't be thin-skinned, and be ready to apologize if necessary. I am practicing both.

I enjoy CoinTalk very much. I learn something new daily. I am all for using Google to find answers..I find the questions to ask here on CoinTalk!

:)
    Lucy

9. green18

Gotta say.....you gals Rock.......:)

Ouch, danged back pain.....:)

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Either pull the knives out, or stop patting yourself on the back :).....and leave my "poooff" wand out of it.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

By all means, use Google. Or, take a look in the Numismatic Resources section. I tried to provide links there that will answer most all numismatic questions. Or, use the Search function on the forum.

Of course success in using all of these things are dependent on one's ability and knowledge of how to go about searching. Being successful with searches is a skill in itself. And not always an easy skill to learn. And that is why many times I personally will try to "teach a man to fish" instead of just "giving the man a single fish to eat". In other words I will often try to show how to find the answers for yourself instead of just giving you the answers.

But in any case, if cannot find the answers to questions that you want, or you do not know how to go about finding the answers you want - then ASK the questions. You WILL get an answer. No matter what the question is, or how common, or how silly ,or how anything, you think the question might be - ask it. And you will be answered ;)

12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Thanks Lucy and thanks to all the positive replies!

Now if I could get a moderator to "update" the title of the thread for the correct spelling of clique-ishness (shoulda used Google), I'd really appreciate it!

13. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

My hope is that people use threads like this as a team-building exercise. That they start to view the other users of the forum as human beings rather than anonymous screen names.

That even the negative comments made can make people feel more a part of the community for having been able to publicly vent or rant.

WE are Coin Talk. Not Doug or Peter, or the numerous moderators that patrol the virtual halls here. The members of this forum largely determine the tone and tenor of our community. Some times people needed to be reminded of just that. It's a community with a large diverse population and in that breadth is a vast accumulation of not only knowledge, but a passion for what we collect, study and share.

Tone is almost impossible to infer from the text in a post. Sometimes when we feel we've been slighted, snipped at, or insulted, we should write it off as someone having a bad day and just let it go rather than respond and snipe and snark. Give your neighbor the benefit of doubt and the kindness that you feel you deserved but didn't receive. Understand that not everyone will be best friends, but we can all be good neighbors.

Draft saved Draft deleted