The Cliquishness attitudes...........

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 19Lyds, Mar 12, 2012.

1. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

To the moderators & admins.......

[​IMG]

Being a moderator on an unrelated, even busier forum than CT, I know from experience that it is not an easy job trying to keep track of what's going on, and being a referee at times to restore order. It can take a lot of the fun out of a forum when you have to be a "policeman" as well as a member.

One nice thing about CT is that I've yet to see any spammers in here. You guys must have great filters to keep them out, or are just great at catching them as soon as they show up. Unfortunately there are no "troll filters" that I'm aware of. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. leaconcen

leaconcen learning constantly

Is it just me but does the quote sound condescending?

4. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Not to me. You might be amazed at little things like this that a lot of people aren't aware of.

5. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I think a lot of people don't realize the amount of work involved as well, even behind the scenes on busy forums like this. I was a moderator at a very busy Linux forum for years, quit because I couldn't dedicate the time to it as I once did. Moderator jobs are not easy on busy forums.

I think some folks also forget that they don't have full rights on forums like these. Sure, here in the U.S. our Constitution says we have the freedom of speech but on these forums (which are privately owned), the rules posted are the Constitution of the forums, obey them or don't use the site since no one is forcing you to use such site. :)

Keep up the good work, this is actually one of the more pleasant and well balanced forums I've been on in a long time, seems the moderating is just right and most of the people here are :cool:

6. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

Definitely YOU!!!! Try describing it better.

7. leaconcen

I am not going to get into an arguement here especially on such a positive thread. Some people such as myself do not respond well to sarcasm. Personally I would have prefered a straight statement to use the triangle to alert the moderators. I am using a nook to write this. The triangle is very small and not obvious.

8. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

Exactly what I said, and gave him the location to find it, which he couldn't. I helped someone, with no sarcasm. Why in the world did you feel the need to post a negative statement to someone helping another CT member? It was really uncalled for.

9. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

This is exactly why this thread began. Some people are too easily offended here. I didn't take offense to the original answer. But somebody else apparently has thin skin and thinks somebody is out to pick on them. Is this an internet forum or a tea party? At some point people are going to stop answering questions for fear of offending somebody and getting into these useless arguments. Maybe some already have stopped over it.

It's really ok man. Have a beer and relax.

10. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

You're right. I gave a one line answer that was totally helpful and inoffensive. Some guy posts it's condescending and saracastic, when there is nothing whatsoever condescending and saracastic. It does make you wonder if you should post helpful answers.

11. leaconcen

I agree this is a useless arguement. I think the different ways of stating things in general is at the root of this. Please just drop the arguement. I did not mean to be negative, and I am willing to say the other person did not mean to be negative. Peace please

12. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I guess the point might be that a helpful answer may not be a helpful answer until the answeree accepts it as a helpful answer. If the answerer gives a helpful answer and the answeree thinks it rude or unhelpful, then obviously it was not a helpful answer. Maybe the answerer should have first asked the answeree if a response that is worded as such and such will get a good reception from the answerer, or whether that answeree will see as something else. In that case, then the answerer could then decline to provide the answer to the answeree. And all will be fine in the world.

13. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

Kasia- It unfortunately does become convoluted with some types.

14. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Also want to add.

I see a few YN members on cointalk. If they make a mistake or as a matter of fact if anyone makes a mistake. There is no need to insult them or say anything bad. I always believe in treating others the way you want to be treated and also if it was turned the other way around how would you feel?

And do we really want them to see a bunch of negative posts flying around? There are enough negative things going on around us, the last thing we should see are negative comments on a forum we go on to enjoy.

15. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

LOL - sorry, but that is the real problem. Moderators cannot make the forum friendly, only the users can make the forum more friendly. (BTW - I agree with the majority here that CT is a pretty friendly place) We can enforce the rules but we cannot make people treat each other with respect. Some people tend to become defensive and that generally leads to more defensive responses, and soon the thread is in left field.

People need to let some things go and not take them personally.

When they do take a post personally, they need to either try to work it out in a civil manner or report the post. As others have also stated, when you do not have someone sitting in front of you, it is easy to misunderstand what they meant. Everyone needs to keep that in mind - sometimes it is a very hard thing to do.

16. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Overall, I think this forum is one of the most friendly places I've ever been on on the internet. I find it refreshing that many people either use their name/names or variations of that, and sign off on a post with their names. People warn others when they come on and post their emails, so that bots don't get the info. And most of the responses are actually good responses, considering that you get responses from many parts of the world, and people who have very dissimilar backgrounds. Some people are smart alecky by nature, and others are a bit more peevish than some. Some are just honest to you know who wiseacres, while others infuse a bit more subtle humor. Some never give more than the most curt to the point replies, and others take any comment that doesn't agree with their view as a personal jab that the other person is trying to 'put down' on them. Most of the jabs that people want to bicker over at times are actually, IMO, just the product of taking a different tack than outright criticism where criticism isn't exactly called for, but the person it's directed at (not attacking the person, though), is in a word (or two or three) bullheaded or obtuse or some other thing. It might even be that that person doesn't realize that they are being that to others. But inevitably some might see that needling as attacking the person when in fact it isn't necessarily needling the person/poster, but the ideas as they are expressed. It's just another way to point out something when outright words are not conveying the message. Perhaps some people would then like everyone to ignore those people who are not getting the message, i.e. 'stop feeding the trolls'. But, unlike others who may see them as trolls, some of those same so-called thought of trolls may actually have an interest in the subject at hand. And there might be hope for them.
    Also, I've noticed, that some people are quick to label 'trolls', where I am unsure if that person is actually a troll or just someone who is challenged in some way (and aren't we all....but on this forum, we can't show everyone every part of ourselves, so we do tend to keep a lot of the ways we are personally 'challenged' hidden from view).

Now, should any poster get upset about something they perceive as being hurtful to them? Maybe there are some times when that's called for, but in the main, I think that most of the comments people are perceiving as hurtful or rude are simply comments, and only reflect the perceptions of the person commenting. If a person has the right to get upset at comments their thread or post has gathered, then doesn't the person whose comment has been perceived by one or several people have the right to get upset that their comments are being misinterpreted?????

Come on now, except for the more egregious remarks or posts, which the moderators generally are pretty successful at removing or moderating, lets get a little more relaxed and not so up-in-arms. Drink a beer or whatever your relaxing enjoyable drink is with someone (figuratively) and celebrate that quite a few people from all over the world are here mostly talking about coins, and sometimes connecting on a different level also.
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT] beerout.jpg [FONT=arial, sans-serif]

Ok, maybe some sweet tea, or CocaCola, or whatever.

[/FONT]

17. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I apologize for using the two of you as an example but this is how it starts.

Both people misunderstood the other and both became defensive. Technical writers (or those use to reading technical writing) placing the quotes around a clickable item is the proper way to identify an item on a screen. The defensive reply was the response with the added use of explanation points. The OP still saw it as sarcasm and didn't realize they had received a technically correct answer even if it was hard for them to find. IMO: In the end both people felt like they were dissed and felt the need to defend their position.

New at this, you said:
    I just wish more could be done to make this forum friendlier

If your first response had been "I don't understand why you put the quotes around those words" The reply probably would have been "I was just trying to identify an area on the screen." That would have been the end of it. If onecoinpony had just responded "that is the proper technical way to point something out on the screen and sorry you misinterpreted it as condescending as that was not my intent, I was only trying to help" that would have been the end of it.

When people read a post they need to take a step back and ask the question, did the poster mean something different than what I understood? Many times you will find that they did. Also, how do I take the high road and try to work this out like I would with someone standing in front of me. Often you will find that both try to outdo each other on that road up if that is the path chosen.

This is the important part:

Like someone else said ~ Life is too short to let the small stuff bother you!

18. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

+1

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

pixie1.gif

It's friendlier.........:devil:

20. splintercellsz

splintercellsz CTs Local DJ

I do my best to avoid these people. Before I ask a question (and I know I may have asked some really repetive/stupid ones), I do my best to use google, and the search bar here.

But as that old saying goes... "Haters 'gonna hate".

21. leaconcen

Actually, I am glad this thread was started, and a good example of misunderstanding was given (even though I needed to learn a lesson also). The more we stop and think before writing the more this forum will become friendlier.

Draft saved Draft deleted