The Cliquishness attitudes...........

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 19Lyds, Mar 12, 2012.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

...........that drove many folks away from the CU Coin Forum is slowly creeping into the CT Forums.

A few folks zero in on a forum poster and without even reading the thread, automatically diss the poster.
    Nothing substantial is offered other than needling that specific CT member.

Why is it that some folks feel the "need" to say something snotty about the thread author instead of simply ignoring the thread?

Posts can be positive or negative with regard to subject matter. Folks can agree or disagree, which is all fine, but to offer no insight or opinion on the subject matter other than to demean the author just seems mean spirited.

Have folks forgotten that if no opinion can be offered on a threads subject matter that there's no real need to post anything at all? Or is this an attempt to simply drive posters away since some are tired of seeing the same old questions? Do these folks really have nothing better to do than demean other posters?

Not everybody who comes here has been collecting for years.
    Not everybody who comes here knows the most common of information with regard to coin collecting.
    Not everybody knows how to effectively search the forums. (I know I don't.)
    Not everybody knows how to post a picture.
    Not everybody knows how to effectively use a computer search engine or phone or tablet.

The above are simple facts that folks really should understand before joining the mob and driving folks away.

If for no other reason than to address the lurkers among us, I'd really like to see the forum administrators delete some of these worthless contributions to otherwise educational threads. Questions I've answered a hundred times to a hundred different individuals, may seem mundane, common, silly and easily researchable to me, but to the person receiving the answer, those answers are very important and in some cases, very educational.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Agreed!

I've sometimes thought about keeping an archive of stock replies to "cut and paste", but that takes a little away from the originality or "spur of the moment" thoughts that were forgotten in the original post.

Chris

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Occassionaly a person joins and gets the help he requests but dismisses it or totally ignores it. I can guess who you are talking about and (if it is whom I am thinking about) it isn't just the members of Coin Talk he is disrespecting, he is also on another forum and the members there are far less kind to him for his troll-type threads.

As for people not getting help to post, you don't see the private messages that go on behind the scenes helping the newcomers. I, myself have spent several evenings with different newbies explaining the idiocyncrasies of the forum.

Also, a number of banned members reappear here under a new name but it doesn't take long to find them out because their old mannerisms eventually give them away.

There are a lot of excellent people on this forum and like any group there are different personalitys. Sure, there is some disagreements that cause hard feelings but they'll work themselves out in time. I've been here about three and half years and I would gladly have a beer with any member here.(I don't drink but you know what I mean).

5. koen

koen New Member

couldnt agree more

6. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

With the age of the internet and the loss of face to face contact with the outside world, many people have lost a vital component to communication...tact. I wonder how some people act when the convenience and cloak of typing anonymously is not an option. They probably turn to the bumbling idiots they really are.
    Guy

7. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I didn't read your post, but I'm sure it was terrible.

But really. I agree. I was new here once, and honestly, I always felt like I didn't want to ask anything. I always thought the question would be stupid and you guys/gals would jump all over me.That wasn't that case at all for me, thankfully. My only regret is that I didn't ask more questions. I could have saved a lot of money.

edit: Regarding the forum search... The search on this forum is not an easy thing to use, and in fact, is very poor. It's not a fault of Peters, but of the back-end programming for the database search. I have trouble finding some of my own posts that I want to reference, and I know my way around a computer pretty well.

8. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

The only time I side with the 'snotty' naysayers is when the OP is a repeated troll, that we've tried to help in the past, but continues to troll and waste our time. It becomes not worth our time or others to try to help the person if they continue to ignore us and troll. However, the best action rather than to post snotty things and 'feed the troll' would be to not respond to them at all.

However, in the case of regular non-troll members, I agree completely with your post.

9. 19Lyds

While what you say may be true, there is no real reason to diss someones thread simply because you or other folks may think that the advice is being dismissed.

I have seen many of these threads and simply move on to a thread where perhaps I can offer constructive information of disagreement.

Trolls only post to evoke negative response. Eliminate the negative response and the trolls will move to more fertile forums.

I used to say that the only dumb question is the question not asked. I still believe that and am eternally grateful to the folks that responded to my dumb questions (and dumb remarks) in the past.

Its the forum administrators responsibility to govern the forums. Not us peons.

10. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Agreed. Another thing that makes me a little batty is when new posters just simply cannot believe what you are telling them. The truth hurts sometimes. I see this a lot in regards to doubled dies actually being machine doubling, or toners being obvious AT. Granted you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

11. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

That's true, I also see members get riled up about that and sometimes for a good reason. The OP is asking our opinion, then rejecting our opinion.

12. 19Lyds

I, on the other hand, did not "accept" the advice I had read and wasted a "lot" of money. Sometimes, folks only learn from first hand experience regardless of what they are told. Its a conceptual thing which I, personally, have a difficult time with. I learn from my mistakes.

Sometimes. :eek:

13. cpm9ball

I keep trying to correct everyone on this adage, but nobody pays any attention...........

If a question is not asked, then it is not a question......ergo......it can't be dumb.

The original adage (which seems to have morphed into some illogical blather) is.......

"There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers."

Have a nice day!

Chris:hail:

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is always a good sign on any committee, organization, or forum, when the members start to realize that they have an inherent "ownership" in the community. Yes, mods can inforce rules and PM when it getting close to the edge, but I could not do my job without the "alerts" we receive from the membership. It is impossible for the small number of mods and administrators to read every post. And then sometimes, a post skates the line between allowable and not. Some members know this and do it on purpose to try and claim unfairness. This forum is always going to be what the members want it to be.

The internet and "faceless" anonymous interaction has also brought many YN, and even many who have organic reasons for lack of social skills that are often apparent in reading the posts. These individuals are doing the best they can, and as mentioned, a personal PM to them is much more apt to be effective than a "snarky" remark.

Thanks to all of you who want to make this forum better. It is mainly member driven as the number of mods and administrators ( even though we are powerful and all seeing :) ) are small and the forum would not be what it is without great members.

Jim

15. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

It is elitism i have seen it everywhere.

16. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

17. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I simply don't reply to those posters/threads. I shake my head and move on.

18. cpm9ball

Is that the best you could do, Greg?

Chris:devil:

19. Johnvan

Johnvan Member

I'm new here and this isn't all that bad a place. I belong to another coin
    blog which is much more "uppity" than the good people here. I am not saying
    I have or haven't seen this but as compared to other sites it is very miniscule.
    I know myself I am guilty of asking the"dumb" question, my problem is I don't
    remember the answer. I have been out of collecting for almost 15 years, I just
    few months ago opened up the box and started going through my various albums.
    I just hope people understand there are different levels of collecting, not everyone
    has a six figure job or an inheritance to spend.But that doesn't bother me if it doesn't
    bother you.
    Rant off-----John

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I have to disagree. I see a little bit of elitism here occasionally, but it's vastly outweighed by helpful commentary, and even by good-natured (or occasionally not-so-good-natured) bickering between people with particularly strong knowledge and/or opinions. :)

21. 19Lyds

I might agree with your symantics except that many posters have questions which they do not ask out of fear of being ostracized.

Illogical blather or not, the point of the statement is more easily understood by many and hopefully inspires a feeling to "feel free to ask ANY question".

Draft saved Draft deleted