Suspicious Ebay bidder

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by dangolf1890, Mar 24, 2014.

1. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Well I assume people sell on eBay to make money.

Also no one can be sure of the outcome at this point, a us buyer may still win legitimately so why should the seller take a loss now?

It's no different then ending the auction now and excluding the turkey buyer. The only thing that really accomplishes is cutting a driving force for the final sale price. If he ends now the turkey buyer is excluded and isolated from the next listing. If he lets it go and refuses to ship to the Turkey buyer anyway, what's the difference? The Turkey buyer will still be excluded.

Also keep in mind if a US buyer decides to pay more than the Turkey buyer, then this whole hypothetical gets canned and the seller wins. His best bet for maximum profits and protection is to keep the auction rolling and deal with it at the end.

It's not like this was intentionally set up to be handled like this, but rolling with the ball in motion this is absolutely what I would do.

eBay would not pull this sellers account for making a plausible excuse to not have to ship the coin to a foreign country where he has no protection in place and it could very well be a scam.

I'll PM you my eBay buyers account so you can block me, save you any future worries and trouble.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Reading some posts again and being from Europe makes me feel like a crook... like one of those untrusted foreign buyers ;-)

bobbyhelmet and YOC like this.
  4. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

If you are going to be childish and send me silly messages privately, dont! Go to a forum for children for that sort of nonsense.
    also, don't assume that because you have had problems with foreign ebay users that all foreign ebay users are the same, they are not. Its called stereotyping.
    Your advice is against ebay rules and you shouldnt encourage others to follow your bad example. If there is a genuine listing error, then fine, a seller may cancel, but dont try and be 'savvy' and try to find ways to gain benefit from what you perceive to be a 'dodgy' buyer. Any suspicions/evidence of this should be sent to ebay and NOT banded around on a forum , many of whose members are ebay sellers/buyers.
    Why shouldnt he allow a buyer who he has no intentions of shipping to to bid??
    Because it means genuine bidders will have to pay more because they will be bidding against 'noone' in reality.
    if you need this explaining further, then .......... I dont know who can help you.:confused:

Hiddendragon likes this.
  5. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Yes, true, I feel like that, but if you read some of the comments, you'll spot who the real crooks are............................

micbraun likes this.
  6. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I find it weird though. I have listed that I don't ship to specific places, such as Russia, yet I still receive bidders from there.

I try to ship most locations in Europe but places I know that have antiquity laws like Turkey and Italy I usually avoid.

I wouldn't feel right to hope this Turkish fellow bids up some domestic fellow when you have no intention of selling the object to him anyway.

YOC likes this.
  7. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Can I just add that wouldn't you be using this gentleman as an unknowing shill bidder if following treylxapi47's plan?

YOC likes this.
  8. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

You need to specifically select where you won't ship to in the auction settings. I had this problem once too before I figured it out.

YOC likes this.
  9. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Yes.

10. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Yes, you have to manually select destinations to stop them bidding......I used to put it in the item description, but with language barriers I was naive to assume they could read it....

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The question of not selling to a buyer in some countries is not one of racism but, as pointed out by Whizb4ng, a matter of varying laws in varying countries. The US has Memoranda of Understanding with some countries agreeing not to allow import into the US certain coins. They also support and uphold laws in countries forbidding export or even ownership of ancient items. If I sell a coin that is already in the US to YOC in the UK and he decides to return it, the coin could be subject to question if it is a type covered by the agreement. We might be required to prove that the coin was in the US before the date when the memorandum was put into effect or that it was found outside the country now located where it was minted. Customs is not likely to worry about the junk bronzes I collect but ask the people who lost the Athenian Dekadrachm Hoard how that went.

We in the US have no ancient coins to dig up. When our politically correct government decides to protect the cultural heritage of the world and stop the import of all coins, we will have what is already here. Mailing them to countries where they are found makes little sense. They have plenty. Mailing them to countries where they are considered state property makes less sense. The UK has very enlightened laws on private ownership and export so there seems, at least for now, for concern trading back and forth. Exporting to countries with laws or extreme restrictions on the subject (including Turkey, Greece and Italy) strikes me as a deal not worth the risk. When a coin crosses those borders, their laws determine who owns it, not eBay policies.

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Wow, this thread has proven to be more interesting than originally thought. I'm not taking sides here, but I would hate to be bidding on a coin against other bidders only being used to drive up prices. I find the coins I want are expensive enough!

13. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

I can`t believe half of what I`m reading here.
    First before listing anything you must update your "Buyer Requirements" on your "Site Preferences" It might be wise to sign into your eBay account before clicking these links.
    http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...eName=STRK:ME:MAPRX&_trksid=p3984.m2295.l3927

Then block buyers from countries you do not ship to and bidders without Paypal Accounts.
    http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences

US Tracking to other countries can be done by entering the tracking number in this site
    http://www.track-trace.com/post
    If you scroll down the site you will see a list of countries that participate in this scheme
    If you click the country most have an English language version of their site.

I have sold expensive items all over the world and never had a problem tracking anywhere and the buyers always got what they bought.
    I have had about 4-6 inexpensive items not received (assumed stolen ) which were not tracked.

YOC likes this.
  14. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

self edited

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Sounds like 16 not 26

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Whoo boy. Sounds to me like this thread needs to end before it really gets out of hand.

TIF likes this.
  17. treylxapi47

You started with me YOC. You being childish and telling me not to bid on your items. I simply gave you my user ID so you could block me.

Why would you threaten to have a user thrown off eBay when I didn't break any eBay rules? I simply voiced MY OPINION, you are welcome not to agree with it, but attack me and I will attack back. Plain and simple.

18. treylxapi47

Since you're airing dirty laundry YOC, why don't you post the message you wrote that provoked my second private message. You know the one you just quoted selectively out of context from your message immediately prior to my response?

You aren't being a man or a gentleman by leaving out the part that you were gonna report me to eBay for an opinion I posted over here. You can have your opinion, but meddling in my REAL life over my OPINION is crossing the line.

NOT COOL MAN.

I am NOT an ebay seller, therefore what I think about the situation has no bearing on anything based in reality. I simply stated what I would hypothetically do if I was in that situation. I voiced my opinion and was immediately attacked by someone claiming to have integrity and the moral high ground, only they threaten people over an opinion to disrupt their real life, which is a no-no by the way, and then call them idiots and crooks on an open forum.

Im sensing quite a bit of hypocrisy in much of that.

Also, being that I am younger YOC, my methods are usually easy mended once shown the correct path, it has happened openly on this forum multiple times where I was wrong at first, then users here showed me i was wrong in a constructive, non attacking manner, and I mended my thought process and became a better person. Your method sucks for ever changing anyones ways, even though I can see the general consensus and where my thought process may have been misguided, the way you handled and started the situation off by belittling me and assuming I am a terrible person for a misguided opinion was wrong.

I can admit the error of my ways, can you?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I involk Taft-Hartley.........

20. GreenPVCHaze

GreenPVCHaze New Member

Just my two cents (a two-cent piece, if you prefer), I'm 27, and I feel this thread has devolved from simply giving advice to an eBay coin seller about an international sale to a pointed, nasty argument that isn't really even about coins in general. I'm not trying to get high and mighty here, but I think this kind of vitriol (no matter who the source) is a bit out of place here.

Everybody has an opinion about who and who not to make a sale to on eBay. Some are giving advice based on personal experiences, some based on preconceived notions or misinterpretation of ambiguities regarding the sale of antiquities to certain countries. NOBODY'S opinion should weigh more than another's, as the saying goes, opinions are like noses, we all have them. It's up to the original author of the thread to weigh everyone's input and then make a decision based on his or her own judgment, whether the opinions presented here factored into the decision or not.

21. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Threads about eBay always seem to end in fisticuffs, lol.

GreenPVCHaze and YOC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted