Susan B. Anthony dollar with no denomination

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by redstrike893, Apr 2, 2014.

1. redstrike893

redstrike893 New Member

I was given nine 1999 Susan B. Anthony dollars and I noticed something weird. I you look at the phone you will notice that the denomination is missing. There is no "One Dollar" stamped beneath the eagle on the reverse side. In fact there is no denomination on this coin that indicates its value.

I've been told that this error is caused by a greased die but after researching greased die error coins I don't believe that's it. It's kind of hard to see in the photo but even though the denomination is missing the fine detail of the Moon is still there. I think that if this coin has a greased die error then the Moon detail would be missing and wouldn't have affected all nine coins.

Also unlike other coins the obverse is not opposite the reverse. What I mean is when the coin is flipped side to side the reverse is not opposite the obverse. I can't think of a better way to explain that.

I asked this question last month but I have a better photo and more information this time.[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Could it be a reproduction? Have you weighed it and checked the exact dimensions? I am sure if someone put the actual denomination on it, then they would have to put COPY on it, or be in some counterfeit violation or something. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

All nine are the same?

5. redstrike893

redstrike893 New Member

I would think that it would be a serious waste of time and effort to reproduce a dollar coin. You would need a coin press and the blanks to make these coins and expertise to create this coins. It has crossed my mind that these coins are fake but it would be like counterfeiting one dollar bills.

As far as weight and dimensions go before I noticed the error I used some of these coins to buy train fare at at a Metro vending machine and the the coins were accepted without issue. I would think if they are fake the machine would have spit them out.

6. redstrike893

redstrike893 New Member

Yes, all nine coins are the same.

7. Agilmore01

What I meant by my reply was many times there are companies that make reproductions and are not trying to pass them as real. I have coins that have all different denominations on them but are clearly reproductions and are sold that way. They do them as collectors items. I would think if they put the actual denomination on it then they would be considered counterfeiting but if they don't then they are probably allowed to do it.

8. redstrike893

redstrike893 New Member

Wouldn't be illegal to create a replica coin that could be spent as the real thing? I would think the coin would have to be the exact weight and size for the ticket vending machine to accept them and it wasn't just one coin but four in four different machines.

9. Agilmore01

I would think so but I don't know the law. If the coin doesn't say what it is supposed to be worth it then would it be considered a counterfeit? If its just the same picture but not trying to quote itself as being one dollar then maybe its not considered a counterfeit I don't know?

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It isn't all that unusual for the details of the moon to remain unaffected. The correct term is "grease-filled die". In other words, grease has built up in the recesses of the letters of "ONE DOLLAR" causing it to disappear.

If all of these came from the same roll or bag, it is possible that they were all produced from the same die. I once searched a $50 of 1980 Lincoln Cents and found 228 "Y" clashes that came from the same die. I knew this because all of the coins had the same markers.

The US Mint produces our coinage in "coin turn" which means that the reverse design is "upside down" in relation to the obverse design. Some countries do use "medal turn" which means that the reverse is "right side up" in relation to the obverse design.

Chris

11. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

There are certain guidelines to follow when it comes to the legality of creating coins. I'm not an expert, but I always understood it has to have the word "copy" on it.
    Also, I wouldn't it past counterfeiters to fake a one dollar.
    The British £1 is the most counterfeited of all currency.

12. redstrike893

redstrike893 New Member

Maybe so. It just seems weird for anyone to counterfeit a one dollar coin. I guess my next move is to shop these coins around some of the coin dealers in my area.
    Maybe so. It just seems weird for anyone to counterfeit a one dollar coin. I guess my next move is to shop these coins around some of the coin dealers in my area. I appreciate your time.

13. redstrike893

redstrike893 New Member

These coins are "medal turn" so is that more of an indication that these coins may be fake?

14. Agilmore01

I don't think anyone was counterfeiting it. I think they were just making a reproduction for collectors and did not put the denomination on it because then that would be them trying to make an exact counterfeit coin. Maybe it's like the Liberty NORFED coins that were being used a few years ago. The feds had no problem with them until they put the word dollar on it. Then they had to seize them because they were considered counterfeit money. Maybe if you make a reproduction without putting the word dollar on it then it would just be considered a collectors item. Again I don't know the law lol I am just thinking out loud.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I just want to be sure that we fully understand one another.......

1. Medal turn - flip side to side for "right side up" design.

2. Coin turn - flip top to bottom for "right side up" design.

Now, which is your coin? 1 or 2?

Chris

16. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Maybe its the pictures on my phone but the obv looks to be a business strike and rev a proof .

As far a waste to counterfeit. No, not if it cost cents on the dollar to do. Henning counterfeited nickels

17. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Well, if they prove to actually be real coins you have a 180 degree rotational error. Take them to a shop.

18. Agilmore01

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like a proof from the back.

19. redstrike893

redstrike893 New Member

1. Medal turn - flip side to side for "right side up" design.

20. redstrike893

redstrike893 New Member

So would these coins be valuable then?

21. redstrike893

redstrike893 New Member

What does proof mean?

Draft saved Draft deleted