strange coin punch newfoundland 1872 twenty cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by maggie123, May 5, 2012.

1. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

i have a newfoundland 1872 twenty cent piece, i have tried to upload a pic but for some reason it says its to big. and i do not know how to make the pics smaller. on the side with the queen it has E.T stamped or punched into it. was this something that the mint at the time did as say, meaning early test or something of the sort. or is it post mint damage? thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

4. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

ill try this and see if it works[​IMG][​IMG]

5. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

newfoundland twenty cent piece grade if possible.the pics are in the last repyl

ok i managed to upload the pics. thanks please have a look and what would you grade these coins at ? thanks again

6. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

Looks to be a counter stamp but the experts will have to chime in and shed some light on it. I really dont know enough about them to say if its legit or not.

7. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

hi what is a counter stamp. as i know nothing about them? thanks

8. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Yes, looks like the coin was counterstamped. That's where a person takes a punch and puts their initials or names or other designs into a coin. Technically, it's PMD; but some people collect counterstamped coins.

9. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

10. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

thanks ill have to wait and see if anyone knows more, thanks for your input much appriciated.

11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I would have to think that a coin counterstamped by ET would carry a high premium. He was only on the planet for a few months in the early eightys while shooting the movie.

12. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

well maybe its time to phone home..lol

13. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

The "E.T" counterstamp is apparently just a random set of initials struck on the coin for who knows what reason maggie. It was common in the day to do so. Initials-only stamps are generally of little value as it's almost impossible to determine who the initials represent. Some counterstamps are extremely valuable, but to be so they have to have an interesting story, be historically significant, or have another appealing quality. Yours isn't listed in any of the references I have on the subject.

Bruce

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Hey Bruce, could you recommend some good literature on counterstamps?

15. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

thanks i figured maybe it was a newfoundland company a merchant maybe fish related but i found nothing in my research. i wouldnt think newfoundland coins were used in many other places than newfoundland , and thats where i am located. thanks,,,, could you possibly weigh in on the grade of the three coins i have pics of. as well the coin with the striike . is that worth less now with the mark being punched into it? thanks

16. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Clockwise, I would venture a grade of F-15 "Details" for the counterstamped coin, XF-45 and VF-30. Some collectors like counterstamped coins and it may not be seen as negative by them.

17. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

righton thanks for the grading.

18. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

The best by far is Greg Brunk's "Merchant and Privately Countermarked Coins" published in 2003 Kirkuleez. It's a bit dated now but he's working on a new edition that probably won't come out for another year or two. You find these on eBay once in awhile, but they're a bit pricey. Russ Rulau also has some good information in his many general token catalogs published over the years. Some of them are available through Whitman's online site.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted