Spanish gold doubloon or real or shipwreck coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by coin0709, Apr 23, 2014.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

I'd appreciate it if someone could steer me in the right direction with this gold coin turned into jewelry. Could it be a 1528 2 Real shipwreck coin?

Thanks

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I think I would weigh it and X it by 1285. per troy ounce. If you didn't pay close to that price it is probably not real.

Dave

4. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks. I am consigning it for a good friend. It has been tested and is real gold. Just been beat to hell. Thoughts on ID?

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

The large numeral 2 on the obverse indicates that this should be a silver 2 Reales. It would not be the first coin that has been "tested" that turns out to not be gold.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not necessarily Ardi, the 2 escudos had the same pillar and waves and 2. But I agree with you, that sure looks like a silver coin, not a gold one. And the date is 1728, not 1528. From the Lima mint I believe.

7. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

My bad, you are correct. Even just seeing the wear pattern, my gut said silver.

8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

The wear on the coin looks very shipwreck. Slow polishing by underwater currents on the sand. Neat coin. My Spanish 2 Escudos -
    [​IMG][​IMG]

John Anthony likes this.
  9. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks All. I had this coin retested to be sure by filing. I did not want to have it tested at 22k due to the extra damage potential. It is solid gold (at least .900) all the way through. So...is it possible this may be a 1728 Peru (Lima) 2 Real struck in gold and not the typical silver? I am aware of the remote possibility here, but just want to be clear on the ID (in silver at least).

10. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

I forgot to provide the weight (4.8 grams) and has approx diameter of a US quarter.

11. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am not a collector of these but 4.8g seems a bit light but believable for a thin, quarter size silver coin. A gold coin that diameter would have to be awfully thin. If the wear pattern looks like plated silver and the weight is right for plated silver how can the item be solid gold? If it is thicker than a US quarter (6.25g), it might not even be silver.

13. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks Doug. Whatever it is I have, it is definitely gold all the way through. The chemical test revealed so and the deep scratch when inspected with high magnification showed it to be gold. Are there any non-2 Reales coins struck in gold with a denomination of 2? 2 Escudos?

14. GDJMSP

Well, then we have a problem. The 2 escudos should weigh 6.77 gm and be roughly the size of a quarter. So your coin, if gold as you say, is way too light. But there is another problem as well, the date. You see the date was only minted in the center like that on the silver coins - not on the gold. Which is why I said it looked like a silver coin. On the gold the date was minted in 3 separate spaces like those you will see here - http://www.sedwickcoins.com/articles/limagoldcobs.htm

Those 2 things combined lead me to only one conclusion, the coin is a fake.

15. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

I apologize, I was mistaken with the weight. It is actually 7.6 grams and has the approx diameter of a US quarter. Again it is solid gold with a purity of at least .900. Has anyone seen a 2 Escudo, 2 Reales, or 1/2 Escudo in gold with these dimensions? Thanks in advance for any hypotheses...

16. GDJMSP

The weight does not solve the design being completely wrong. My conclusion is the same as before.

17. JCS

JCS New Member

I just found this post while searching the net. I have this exact coin in GOLD and can't figure it out . This is the only other picture of this coin I have ever seen. It came out of the USVI at least 30 years ago. Any help would be great. What is the final answer to this? Thanks-JCS

18. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

19. JCS

JCS New Member

20. JCS

JCS New Member

Any thoughts on two coins being so closely matched? I guess they are hand struck?

21. W.Mart

W.Mart Member

The fact that they look so similar with the same wear pattern to me indicates a fake. Furthermore, their placement in jewelry indicates that as their intended purpose, provided you bought them already set as jewelry. I'd be interested to know how you chemically tested the piece, also. Examining a file or scratch mark doesn't mean all that much when the color of gold can be replicated with base alloys.

Edit: After re-orienting the first picture to get a clearer comparison with the second, the wear patterns and edge profiles are the exact same. These are produced to look worn...fakes.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted