Something amiss on this?? Ebay 1901 S PCGS quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by majorbigtime, Oct 25, 2009.

1. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

My bad...I see where your comment came from now. lol I'm a bit ditzy in my old age, 47.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't think any of us would disagree with you on that count. And that is exactly the point we are making. The coin is over-graded, just like every other key date I've ever seen in a slab. Coins with well known pedigrees are also routinely over-graded. And for the past few years, coins with exceptional color are routinely over-graded. All of this by the TPG's.

Now if you have one that you think is not over-graded, then either you have the only exception that I've heard of. Or, there is, as previously stated, some other reason for the grade on the coin.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Old holder possibly? Because that coin in the auction is definitely what they would call a G-6 for a key date today. Possibly if you sent yours back in you could get it up to VG-8 or better today. As I have said before, I have seen 16-D dimes that lack full rims graded VG by the top services.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Quoted for truth.

This is one of my biggest gripes when it comes to TPG grading, the so-called "key date effect". It seems to this idiot that the TPGs grade key date coins to a different standard than the rest of the coins. For instance, if you submitted an 1887 IHC and an 1877 IHC in the same grade, the coins would come back with the 1877 graded one to two grades higher. Please note, I'm speaking for circulated examples not mint state.

6. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Major, if yours has full rims, as you state it does and it only graded a G-6, than perhaps it might be worth getting into that safe, checking it again and resubmitting. Please let us know what you do and how you make out.

7. Leadfoot

Remember guys, TPGs don't technical grade coins, they market grade them.

Said another way, a really attractive coin that doesn't have full rims can get graded higher if its a nice looking example.

Nothing new here, really, but I'm concerned that this may be lost as we continue to discuss technical grading attributes (i.e. rims) on coins that are not graded by the TPGs to that scale (and yes, I know what they say in their grading standards ;) -- I'm talking real world here).

Market grading (TPG) != technical grading (ANA).

NOTE: That's not to say one method is any better than the other -- there are certainly merits in both -- but rather that they are different and we should be careful in mixing them.

8. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

I'd like to see images of his coin - as I mentioned previously, maybe there are factors/problems other than wear that account for its grade. He probably could have provided images in less time than it has taken him to post to this thread.:eek:

9. coinman0456

Perhaps. I'm fairly confident there are other problems. As GD stated also, I don't think I've ever seen and under-graded Key Date by a TPG.::goofer:

10. Leadfoot

I think you guys are saying the same thing. :)

11. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

I think it is a solid G-4. Not a G-6, but definitely better than AG-3

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

13. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I honestly think that most companies, dealers, cutsomers, collectors, etc. etc. throw out the rule book on grading when it comes to key dates. I think half the time their common sense follows that rule book right on out the door.

14. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

Try G04

I don't do resubmissions--David Hall has enough $$ already.
    Besides, the coin speaks for itself and is heads and shoulders above the Ebay G06.

15. coinman0456

well since you won't post a picture, I guess we can't confirm or refute the grading.

16. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

Bingo!

Like I said, I am an 'ol fart and have no idea how to take and post a coin photo.

17. GDJMSP

As I have said a thousand times - that is not true ! The ANA grading stadards are a market grading system and have been since 1987. It says so right in the book.

If you want to get right down to it, I guess you could say there are 3 grading systems now. Technical grading, market grading, and what TPG grading has become - value grading.

18. GDJMSP

Would you say that all MS65 coins are equal ? No, of course not. Well, not all G 6 coins are equal either.

19. coinman0456

bingo! Bingo! Bingo!

20. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

At $5101 it fetched a decent price!

Draft saved Draft deleted