Something amiss on this?? Ebay 1901 S PCGS quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by majorbigtime, Oct 25, 2009.

1. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chip

chip Novice collector

I have only one example of this series, so I cannot say that I have done much studying of the series, perhaps it is an example of what the coinmanati call market grading, where a rare key date coin gets a grading bump?

4. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

Another school of thought is that the TPGs are tougher on key dates. If the coin/holder are legit, someone was asleep at the switch IMO.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What planet do you live on ? Because on the one where I live the TPG's routinely, and I mean routinely, over-grade keys. It would be the exception for them to grade one accurately. And it is unheard of for them to under-grade a key - any key !

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I agree, I have never seen a key date under-graded...not even one time.

7. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

Yes, something is amiss - your perception of how the
    TPG's
    grade key date coins.

8. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

Well, I have a 01S PCGS G04 that has full rims that stands head and shoulders above the coin in this auction. I don't know that mine is undergraded, but if you don't think the auction coins is overgraded I have some oceanfront property in Arizona for you.

9. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

Let's see some images of yours? Maybe it's under-graded or maybe there are reasons other than the amount of wear that account for its grade.

10. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

My first impression was an AG3 but I could see a G4. It may be cutting hairs, but I think the G6 is a little over the top. BTW, that is one expensive coin for an AG3 (oops, I mean G6).

11. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

That's where I see it. At first glance, I thought someone may have
    switched coins in this slab as it is no way near G06 IMO..

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

IMO
    Based on the obverse I can understand G-4.
    But you have to stretch a bit (but not too badly) to see the reverse as more than AG-3.

13. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

This is why I have yet to finish my Indian $2.5 set - missing the key 1911-D. Every single one of 'em I've seen is overgraded.

It's also why I question the wisdom of buying keys first. I'm not saying buy them last, either... I'm saying buy them second. Get a little experience in a series before you take The High Dive.

14. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Well, I must taking the wrong approach. I have the entire Lincoln Memorial collection except the 1909S VDB. I have the entire Buffalo Nickel collection except the 1913Sv2. I have the entire Mercury dime collection except the 1916D. I have the entire Washington quarter collection except the 1932 D and S. I have the entire Liberty nickel collection except the 1885 and 1886. I appear to be too cheap to buy the real expensive coins to finalize my collections.

15. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

Is the 09 S VDB a Memorial??

16. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Looks like it is Obverse (A) and Rev 301

Lets see some Pics of yours Major. What holder is it in?

17. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

Nope...it's a wheatie.

18. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I said it was over-graded...that TPGs consistently over grade key dates and that I had never seen an under-graded key date slabbed. I think we are on the same page...no need for the ocean front property comment. ;)

19. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

Sorry, you must mean 2009-S...my proof set just has the 4 lincoln cent reverses, but no memorial in proof. Not sure about uncirculated business strikes.

20. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

I am an 'ol fart, and have no idea how to do pix. Besides, the coin resides in a safe deposit box.

It is a PCGS holder.

21. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

Oops, this was supposed to be a reply to another thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted