Sleepers

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mr. Coin Lover, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't much of the really cool early US 20th century types (like the St. Gaudens, Mercury Dime, etc.) based on design elements (e.g. medal like high relief and traditional greco-roman imagery of liberty) from France and other European coins of the time?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

I agree with the comments about the 1938-D walker. Classic example. In fact, we could probably come up with the "classic" list of sleepers - the ones that get all the airtime. In many cases, it's based on mintage numbers - oh, this coin has only 200,000 more than the key of the series!! Yeah, well there are only 4,000 people who actively collect that series, so...........

The question itself is self-excluding. If you can call a coin a sleeper, than it's definitely NOT a sleeper. A sleeper is a coin "waiting to be discovered/appreciated". If that coin is on everyone's sleeper list, then it's not a sleeper.

Probably not making myself clear. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "junk" (ha ha) that the mint has stopped making won't become valuable one day........

4. rohumpy

rohumpy Senior Member

Shhhhh please don't do anything to make the demand for half cents increase. They are still reasonably affordable!

5. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

One that I have been looking at casually is the 1936-1942 proof Lincoln cents. They are not cheap but did not make a lot of them either.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

sleepers:
    Semi-key Barber quarters.
    Barber dimes: most lower mintage dates/mints, including the 1895 O.
    Half dollars: many dates, esp: 1904S, 1905P, 1905 O.

7. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

The half dollars I have read there are a lot of very old counterfiets. People have these and truly think they are genuine when they are not. So, would you obtain these raw or slabbed?

8. Treashunt

I'm interested.
    What grade is it?

I know no offers to buy or sell.

I just said I am interested.

9. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

OK Treashunt; I'll post it up again in the open section later today for your consideration..

10. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I would say there is one cent that i always thought was a sleeper the 1931S cent. I think the coin will wake up someday soon
    Jazzcoins joe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

12. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

13. Danr

Danr Numismatist

some of the recent bullion coins that were cut short may prove to be sleepers. Some of those mintages seem really low.

14. Onehawk33

Onehawk33 Senior Member

If anyone has 40 back issue years of numismatic periodicals, I'd bet that every few years there is an article touting shield nickels as sleepers.

15. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I mostly agree that coins usually cost what they should cost. Otherwise, we'd all be rich! But, that said, I think ASEs might turn out to be a sleeper in the long run because the day the US Mint discontinues the series, and someday they will, every ASE will jump in price. I think this coin will be the morgan dollar of the future and highly prized by collectors.

16. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Check out the price for a 1991 half ounce American Gold Eagle in MS-69.

17. Treashunt

Interesting comment, slabbed for some, raw for others.

As for contemporaty pieces, they are highly collectible, and usually base metals.

Draft saved Draft deleted