Slab protectors.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I know some people think slab protectors are silly, but if you accidentally scratch the slab, it might make it hard to take a good picture of it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Did you have a question or were you kinda thinking out loud?

4. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

Lol.

And on a side note, I am going to start a slab grading company to grade slab conditions. I will then slab the slabs and make millions. :D

5. CoinCast

CoinCast Member

I found they fit in an old iPod classic sleeve...

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

That reminds me of the joke about the pocket protector protector, lol.

7. Clint

Clint Member

I store my slabs in little zip-lock bags, so there :hail:

8. DM1

DM1 Active Member

Oooh-oooh, hey, over here, I've got slab protectors!! An Intercept Shield box with individual slab sleeves inside :yes:Is that too geeky?

9. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Try to photograph your coin prior to accidentally scratching your slab.

10. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

It probably isn't really neccessary, but I use the little black velvet draw string pouches for coin protectors. Simply to try to keep from accidentally scratching the slabs, and to separate them. Guess it's just personal choice.

11. VNeal

VNeal Member

NGC Slab holders. I think they hold 20 coins

12. Kasia

I don't necessarily have 20 slabs I want to group together, and then you are restricted to putting a box that size somewhere. In a SDB sometimes it's better to have more flexibility in storage.

13. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I don't usually scratch them, but sometimes they come scratched.

14. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

Then I could slab the slabbed slabs, then someone else could slab the slabbed slabbed slabs!

15. silverfool

silverfool Active Member

your gettin close. :p

16. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

How about this ?

Slab_Protector_100_2803 (600 x 450).jpg :yes: Slab_Protector_Rev_100_2804 (600 x 450).jpg

17. wheatydigger

wheatydigger Member

a protector for a coin holder. I don't know why, but that just sounds hilarious. I find it stupid enough that grading company slabs by themselves demand a pretty big premium.

18. RiverGuy

RiverGuy Tired and Retired

I have seen some collectors use the small sleeves designed to hold/protect cards - ie. baseball, football. The sleeves are almost exactly the right size and - I'm told - readily available and cheap.

19. Kasia

If the grading company is consistant with their grading, that it can be depended on, and they are truly going to back it up, then it is useful. It is also useful to have "experts" (for the top tier tpgs) be able to know which coins are cleaned and which are not genuine. Some of the fakes out there are quite good, and unless you yourself are some sort of expert in the fakes, and have looked at hundreds or thousands of real ones to compare one to, then you could be buying a fake and never know it. TPGs have their place. However, you still have to purchase the coin, and not the slab.

20. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

i like the idea almost as much as i like screen protectors on phones.... ill slab a slab and verify that the slab is genuine with a details grade lol

cody

21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Hey, a TPG to slab and grade slabs XD

Draft saved Draft deleted