Silver Proof Set Mintages vs Market Value (1999-2013)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Phil Ham, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Did a quick search of CT titles and Danr started the tread about the sellout but it WAS Topcat that gave the link to purchase from MCM for less then mint issue with free shipping.

When ordered I figured they would have been searched and receive lesser quality sets. Much to my surprise, each set was still in it's outer sealed, unopend brown cardboard packaging as sent from the mint

Thank You Topcat. I still have those sets.

TopcatCoin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

I was curious how he advised you back then if you joined in Dec '13....?

4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Thanks for the list. But, didn't they lower the price of the 2013 set, maybe torward the end of the year? I order a few extra sets at year end and I think I paid $53.95,

5. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

They did lower the set a couple of times in 2013 but I used the price at the start. It is also when I purchased the set.

6. berneck1

berneck1 Junior Member

If there's something I like, and collect regularly, I never wait. I just buy it. I do the subscription for the silver proof sets, that way I don't have to think about it. If there is anything I have learned it's that the Mint is unpredictable. They will cancel anything at anytime.

Btw, if you are waiting to purchase something because of budgetary reasons, you should NEVER buy right after the Mint ends sales, and the overreactive buying frenzy begins. You will most likely lose more than win on that strategy. In collecting and investing, patience will win out more times than not.

Finally, if you can swing the expense of the silver set vs the clad set you're making a better investment. In my experience, given the mintages, most of the clad sets lose value over time. The silver sets will never be worth less than the silver in them, and the mintages are always lower.

JPeace$ and medjoy like this.
  7. berneck1

berneck1 Junior Member

And, no matter the reasons people give, I still fee the premium is still a little high on the 1999 set. The 2012 is high, also, but makes more sense to me given the mintage.

8. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

It was really high on the 1999 set if you bought it for $275 like me in 2005.

9. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I receive a silver proof set every year for Christmas...except for 2012 as my parents were, "tired of buying coins." I thought I would get one in January, procrastinated and now will have to wait until they become a little more manageable. Darn it anyhow!

Still, great info, Phil, and thanks!

10. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Though not a memeber until Dec '13 I have been reading the forum for quite a few years.

11. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

Wow thats very...trusting.....of you!

You read advice from a coin forum and made an investment that turned out well. You must be the only person to have successfully turned internet advice into profit.

12. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

It wasn't an investment, it was for my collection. It was only two sets, the number I usaully purchase from the mint anyways, and for less then the mint issue price.

13. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

The 2012 Silver Kennedy Half seems to be the key in the 2012 Proof Set pushing the price up. Raw Kennedy's around $100, graded $160 to $200.

14. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think it might be a repeat of the 1999 set. There was a several year period where the 1999 set was $300+ and then it dropped quite a bit. Still selling for a nice premium over the original price, but definitely down from where it was.

15. statequarterguy

Good advice, 2012 certainly reminded many how unpredictable the mint is. Since the mint offers a 10% discount on silver proof set subscriptions, it's the only way to go. I do buy when they first come out, but I also watch the sales and buy more at year end, if sales are low. However, I definitely got the best quality sets with my first order.

16. Big difference is that the mintage of the 2012 is the lowest. I am expecting prices to stay at current level and only decrease if another mintage is lower.

17. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It's true, the mintage is down. They might stay that high...but we will see. I don't see them being one of those sets that plummets...but I think it will drop some as it ages.

18. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

I recently inherited and continued my late fathers collection which included yearly silver sets and other us mint products going back a long time. I continue with interest in collecting now and not necessarily profit but what I take away from this is except for a few years - most silver proof sets stay pretty flat?

I see a discussion in the other section on ASE's. I have alot of proofs and Uncirculated as well. Interesting information - thanks.

19. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the 10% subscription discount only started this year. I only buy the Silver Proof sets and have a mint subscription. I purchased my 2012 though in October. It was the first time I ordered directly from the mint.

20. statequarterguy

Yes, 2014 is the first year I’ve seen the 10% discount on silver proof sets and other products. Looks like it’s the mint’s way of lowering the prices, since pm’s went down, without lowering them all the way. Wish they’d do the same for other products, like commems, everything sure appears to go more smoothly with subscriptions.

21. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

I suspect the 10% discount serves a number of purposes. First, it makes the products "seem" cheaper even when they're really not. People who subscribe feel like they're getting a benefit.

But more importantly, perhaps for the mint, is that they have a more firm handle on the popularity of a particular issue before they start producing it. Instead of guessing that something might be popular, they can look at advance subscription numbers and get a far better indication of how many units will have to be produced.

I have been buying the silver proof sets since the state quarters program began in 1999, and I know that I appreciate the info posted in this topic. I don't particular care what the immediate price appreciation is, since these sets are for my two sons at some point in the future... hopefully way in the future. :) But it's still interesting to see.

Draft saved Draft deleted