Should I pay this guy on eBay?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JCB1983, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

What is the value of the note vs. the bid ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kryptonitecomic

Kryptonitecomic New Member

This is a no brainer....you pay the seller...he did nothing wrong so he shouldn't be punished for your actions and he shouldn't be labeled a bad seller becuase someone doesn't want to pay.....

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

+1

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Considering it's source, this advice does not surprise me. It would be interesting to see your reaction if you were in the sellers shoes.

6. Lehigh96

As an E-Bay seller who is forced by E-Bay to carry a 14 day unconditional return policy in order to maintain top rated seller status, I would cancel the transaction happily and move on. I would actually be ecstatic that the person contacted me so quickly that they could save me the cost of the shipping.

The reason for the order cancellation/return is immaterial. It makes no difference if the person can't pay, was sleepwalking, doesn't like the toning, or is simply a jerk. In fact, in my experience, I would prefer that buyers don't disclose their reason for returning the coin. Their reasons cause me more frustration and anger than not knowing.

7. pnightingale

pnightingale Member

I think the best solution for all concerned would be a token payment to cover the cost of the seller's time. If I was in the shoes of the seller that's what I would be doing, quite possibily gaining from future purchases from a buyer who knows I'm a stand up guy.

If I was in the buyer's shoes I would do exactly what the OP has done - try to resolve the situation with the seller candidly. If one of the three sellers insisted on the sale going through then I would pay him but make sure he understood perfectly that I would never buy anything from him again. The other two sellers, I would just go out of my way to try and give them as much future custom as possible.

We like to think we are guided by what is right but more often than not it's enlightened self interest.

8. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

As a buyer, If I had made this mistake, I would pay and take my chances with the item. That being said ,as posted above, as a seller, Any time someone contacts me after the auction and says they want to cancel I do it. Saves me more headache, fees are refunded by ebay imediately, I'm not out the postage/packing costs, and on auction listings, even if you can't get the next highest bidder to take the second chance offer, ebay will give you a relisting credit if the item sells again. Then I block the bidder.

9. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I was wondering if anyone got the joke beside me.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

My point was not about how you or any other seller would/should do or feel, and was only about how the poster would react. I highly doubt you would run here and start a thread about how a buyer was doing you wrong, but this is something I could easily see him doing.

11. Lehigh96

I know that, I just wanted to provide a reaction of an actual E-Bay seller. Logic would seem to indicate that a seller should demand payment; but E-Bay rules significantly change the average seller's reaction to this situation.

12. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

Absolutely - well said.

13. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

You say that is a binding contract but what can they really do? Sue you? Ebay isn't going to do anything reallly. I won two autction where I didn't buy the item. One let it go because I was new to buying coins on Ebay and mistakes can happen. The other did not return any of my emails so I did not purchase the item but thought about it and was going to buy the item since I only overbid I thought by 50 cents but the fact that none of my emails were returned made me hesitant to pay for the item. The truth is I doubt anything will happen if you just ignore it. Why don't you contact someone at Ebay first?

14. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Those re-listing fees can cut deep into any profit potential. However I do agree that it is better to have a cancel request rather than having an item returned after having incurred shipping costs.

15. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Exactly, not a good analogy to use by another member here. Any decent cars salesman wouldn't sell a drunk person a car, but then again, they don't finalize car deals over the internet like this case with a sleepbayer.

16. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

If it's worth that much, he should have no problem reselling it.

Did you explain to him your condition? If you did, no offense please, I wonder if it had anything to do with him being stubborn to drop it. EBay sellers have heard every excuse. The "dog ate my homework" syndrome. I think I would have just told him I changed my mind.

17. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

What's the return policy? Honestly, if I were you, I would buy and return and say it looks better when drugged up.

18. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

All I will say is if your that kind of eBay bidder post your ID so those that want can make sure you don't make a repeat of it.:rollling:

19. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Harsh much?

20. My opinion, pay the seller. It's not their fault what you did.

21. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

OK I guess you would want him bidding on your auction I take it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.