Should I pay this guy on eBay?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JCB1983, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Well, honestly if he bought a car he would be liable. But a good sales person should recognize the persons condition and call the proper authorities because they shouldn't allow him to drive it off the lot.

As for getting married, well that's just two drunk ignorant people and that's usually both parties agreeing they shouldn't have gotten married. The seller in this case likely wasn't drunk and is expecting payment.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

That's entirely different, and not even in the same context.

He did not cause anyone suffering, pain, financial loss, etc.

If he got in a car and ran over 3 kids, than yes, he should be held responsible. But causing death to 3 people and buying something by mistake on the internet is not relevant, it's completely extraneous.

Like I said, if the seller won't comply, then don't pay. Your allowed 1 strike before it affects you in any way. Your not going to loose bidding/buying privileges.

He did not have all of his senses when he bought it. He was not aware at all. People who sleep walk are functioning on autopilot. They have no conscious, no awareness of what they are doing. Sometimes they do something they have done before, a redundant task. I'm sure JCB has bought on eBay plenty of times. So when he went into sleep, he went to his computer, signed in, looked at auctions, bid, and won. He did not know he even did it.

Since he did that before, and surely many times, the brain has stored that into memory. So when he is asleep, the brain can remember how to do it, and the brain did it. All the meanwhile JCB was sound asleep, and not aware at all.

That's just how scary and unnerving sleep walking is. People have been even known to murder while asleep.

4. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

The problem Detecto, is that he is 100% correct. Switch the circumstances anyway you want and a thread would never have been created about this....

The OP knew of his condition before this transaction and could have taken appropriate steps to prevent it.

Unless the SELLER gave you the Ambien, take responsibility and pay your debt.

5. vonde87

vonde87 New Member

People have been even known to murder while asleep.[/QUOTE]
    I know it isn't suppsed to be funny but after starting it off by talking about things people do over and over again and then following it up with this lined made me laugh a little.

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

The answer is in your first sentence and I think you know it. It's too bad that you messed up, you can offer to pay the guy a $20 for his time but it's really up to him whether he takes it or not. Tell him you will gift him a $20 bill but you can't possibly pay because you drank too much beer or something. Nobody cares about drugs, trust me. Good luck but as your first sentence says, you screwed up.

7. Duwammer

Duwammer Junior Member

Sorry...............I'm not picking on anybody. I don't even think the things I pointed out out are out of line.

All of the things I pointed out are very "fair" questions.

Detecto,

Don't take it personal, but how would you answer the things I pointed out...................

My helpful hint for the OP. Cancel all your all your bids that way you won't feel guilty about any of the bids you placed.

8. Duwammer

Duwammer Junior Member

Taxidermist,

I could understand the OP a little bit more if he hadn't been "cool" with 2 of his sleep bids. The thing that makes my head spin is, he's only upset with the one that's going to cost him some money.

The medical condition that caused this, although possibly real..........should not be used as an excuse. Pay your bill then correct the problem. It could be worse than just an Ebay bid next time.

Why isn't he upset wanting to cancel all bids because of his medical condition................

As for the scenario about over paying. Some people enjoy giving their money away. It's sometimes hard to read people and decide quickly what one should do in a split second decision. Especially if the person states "This is for you, thanks a lot and walks out.

Every Christmas the wife and I go to a certain restaurant. We leave a very,very nice tip. I don't expect the waiter to come chasing me out asking if I'm sure I want to leave that kind of a tip.

9. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Duwammer: As it has been mentioned, maybe OP is alright with the low winning bids, and prefers to pay up instead of getting into argument over few dollars.

In my example I clearly stated that this was a somnambulist, a person not responsible for his actions. Such person should be treated properly, and if he has given away his money or any other property, I would imagine the right thing to do would be returning his possessions to him when he comes to his senses.

If you prefer to think he "enjoys overpaying" and keep his money, well these are just really low moral standards, exploiting the sick, temporarily unaware person.

10. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Um.... this is false. OP wasn't "cool" with the other 2.... they were kind enough to cancel the transaction after he told them his circumstances. If you re-read the post, you may choose to eliminate this "phase" of your argument ;)

@ rodeoclown: He could NOT buy a car under the influence and be held accountable for it. As you say, the seller in that case should see something isn't right and disallow it. But how often does that occur? Bar owners who continue to serve obviously inebriated patrons are sued all the time (see the commercials)? Depending on the circumstances (it's a new medication, or perhaps the original cause for the med.) it can be seen legally as taking advantage of a vulnerable adult.

All that aside, I agree he should pay for it, then sell it if he really doesn't want it.

11. He posed a simple question: Should I pay this guy on eBay? I gave him a simple straightforward answer. If it was me, I would take responsibility, pay, and learn from the experience. I gave him no slack as some others did about the veracity of his claim.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

TC, it's a joke. It was all in the way you had your response worded........"I would pay your debt. TC"......I know what you were conveying to the OP, but I just couldn't resist yankin' your chain a bit. You may yank mine in return......:)

13. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

You're not getting it. The OP said that the other two sellers were "cool" with the fact that he was sleep bidding and sold the items to the next highest bidders, but the seller of the $20 note was not alright with that.

14. I guess that was sort of blunt. Maybe I need a blunt :too-cool-for: (or in my case a cold brew :cheers: ) this fine Memorial Day...just need to stay clear of eBay, Teletrade, etc. :) TC

15. silentnviolent

Wow, by this logic, every time (as a CNA) I bring Mrs. Smith in rm 42B a refill on her water and she tries to give me a $50 tip, I should not only pocket the $, but also increase my visits to her room. After all, "Some people enjoy giving their money away." Hope I never do business with you if these are your business ethics.
    That's what I would call "Simply amazing................. "

16. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

You're right, this is very difficult to prove in this situation. This is basically (for some of us anyway) an anonymous internet poster making a claim with an excuse to back out of a bid. To be honest, I'm not even sure why this is a subject for discussion, rather than a private conversation between the buyer and the seller. But he did ask for opinions, so there was mine.

In your example, the shop owner is there, physically present, with marked prices (not waiting for bids) and can see you. You'd still have a hard time proving you were sleepwalking in this scenario. Now look at an eBay seller, possibly across the country from the buyer, possibly not even on line when the winning bid was made, now hearing this excuse from the buyer. Honestly, as the seller, would you really bite on this, or assume the buyer wants to back out.

17. omahaorange

Nobody is saying it doesn't happen. But the information was easy enough for you to find, so it would be out there for anybody to locate. However (and you should know this) how many threads are here and other forums asking about how do I get out of paying for this or that auction. To the seller, this may be one in a long string of excuses to cancel bids. If you know the medication affects you in this way, it is your responsibility to protect yourself from these actions. I may be sympathetic if this was the very first dose, or the very first occurrence, but even in that case the bill should still be paid.

18. silentnviolent

Also to consider: Was there a return policy? If there is, then the seller should be willing to cancel the transaction based on the assumption that it would just be returned anyway. I know I would rather do that than go through all the motions unneccessarily.

But since the seller doesn't want to do it that way, I stand by my first inclination: That it should be paid for now and resold later if he's unhappy.

One thing's for sure: It would make a great contest prize, Jason! :greensmile:

19. omahaorange

I don't think anybody is picking on him, but when you pose a question like this on an internet forum (again, you more than most should know this), not every responder will stoke your forehead, give you a cup of tea, and tell you it's okay. He asked a "Yes" or "No" question. This is a pretty good stretch for backing out of a winning bid, no matter how you look at it. You ask for an opinion or open yourself up, some of the responses will be negative. That's not picking on anybody.

20. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Got that right! Show your appreciation to all your friends here on CT. :D

21. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Lots of people have already given their $0.02, but here's mine too:

Explain what happened and ask if the guy would be willing to make a second chance offer to the next highest bidder with you paying the difference plus an extra few bucks for his time.

If he isn't willing to accomodate you in such a way, just pay for it and resell it if you don't want it. In the end, you'll only be out $20 or so. If you do a good job listing it, it might even fetch more than your paid for it. Or you could sell it here and avoid the fees.

Whatever you decide to do, also do something that ensure this doesn't happen again. For example, buy/upgrade to a professional version of Windows that allows for the implementation of system/account policies. Implement a policy that prevents your user account from logging in from 10PM-6AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.