Shortest time you've owned a coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by flintcreek6412, Apr 18, 2014.

1. flintcreek6412

flintcreek6412 Active Member

For me today it was less than 30 minutes. I bought an MS65 Morgan at a really good price the other day. It was in a PCGS holder and the pics weren't the greatest but I assumed it might be overgraded. It arrived today and it did in fact appear over graded to me without the greatest eye appeal in a couple of spots.

I promptly drove to one of my LCSs that from past trading experience I know he only looks at the grade, then grey sheet then we negotiate. Knowing I got this for about $100 less than grey sheet he responded as expected. I had immediate $100 profit that I used to trade for something I wanted that looked under graded to me and by trading in I didn't have to pay the 7% sales tax. Double bonus day.

If you take away the drive time, I only had it in hand about 10 minutes total.

green18 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

about 45 seconds. went to a flea market bought a morgan dollar for 40 sold it for 55 to the guy a few stands down.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that's a sad question because I keep and hoard most of my coins. once I had to sell a gold coin for an emergency... I regretted it but it got me out of a big mess. do I miss that coin ? yes. can I get it later on in life ? yes but for way more money.

5. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Well if you had not sold the coin you would be in some financial trouble. That coin saved you man.

spirityoda likes this.
  6. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

coins have saved me in more ways than one

spirityoda likes this.
  7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Less then 2 minutes I've more then once bought a coin at auction and had someone come up to me and say "you wanna sell it" unless it's something I love or was grossly underpriced ill usually flip it for the next bid

8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I can tell immediately if I am not happy with a eBay purchase. However long it takes to notify the seller and mail it back for a refund. Two days? If I missed something when purchasing it, making it my fault, I'll keep the item and dispose of it at the next available currency show. The time period varies on that.

9. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

. Double post.

10. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

Less than 24 hours. BUT, I sold it for 400% profit.

Dougmeister likes this.
  11. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

I would say a majority of coins that I have PURCHASED I have owned for less than 24 hours. I also would have to add that I purchase 4-5 coins for every coin that I keep.

12. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

less than an hour. buy silver throughout the day for below spot and sell it to a guy in my last hour who's willing to pay $25-$30/oz

13. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

about a half hour. Bought an 1869/69 indian head cent in XF unattributed on ebay. As soon as the coin arrived, I took better pictures posted back on ebay as a BIN and it sold for more than 2x what I paid!

Dougmeister and josh's coins like this.
  14. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

I'd imagine there are many stories where the coin barely stayed in the hands long enough to get warm.

15. thejaxcollector

thejaxcollector Active Member

Can I win for slowest? I've been collecting over three years and haven't sold one yet. :)

Dougmeister likes this.
  16. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I bought a note (confederate at a show that I knew a person would want). Showed him what I got and he "just had to have it" so I made my money and let it go. Plus he owes me one now ;)

17. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

When the 2008-W Rev of 2007 coins arrived at my house from the US Mint, they were sold within the day. I listed 4 coins and before the 3rd one had been listed, the 1st coin had already sold.

That was the easiest $225 per coin I have ever made.

18. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

15min... received a raw coin from a professional online dealer, description said 'high grade' what was true but the coin was cleaned (couldn't tell from the pics) so I sent it back immediately.

19. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Sold a coin before I bought it...you tell me how long I owned it.

SCDigginWithAK likes this.
  20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Bought a token on eBay back in 1999, arrived in the mail on an already bad day and I believe I put it back in the envelope and threw it away by mistake.

21. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

About three minutes, time it took to buy some nice certified world coins and walk them across the aisle at a show to another dealer who has taste Every Bit as Exquisite as Mine. :singing:

Best Regards, :)

George

Draft saved Draft deleted