Series 1935 E (One Dollar Bill) Worth Anything?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by RTK, Jul 26, 2005.

1. RTK

RTK New Member

I work at the cash register at an ice cream shop in the mall, an old lady came by today and bought a scoop of ice cream and gave me two one dollar bills, right away i noticed that one of the bills that she gave me had a blue stamp, instead of a green one with WASHINGTON D.C. written on it, i flipped it over and noticed that the back side was a brighter green then the usual one dollar bill, and then i saw that it said Series 1935E on it, i was wondering if anybody had any idea about how much money this is worth, i will take a picture of it and post it soon, it also says "IN SILVER PAYABLE TO THE BEARER ON DEMAND" under the "ONE DOLLAR" below the picture of George Washington.

calishield likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ajm229

ajm229 Lincoln Cent Collector

What you have is called a $1 Silver Certificate. The type you have is called a Blue Seal Certificate, and as you have noted, it was issued in 1935 in the E (fifth) group of printings. (There was a 1935A, 1935B, etc.) If I'm correct from memory, 1935 silver certificates only carry a small premium in circulated condition (which is probably what you have. If it's creased, worn, or torn at all, it's circulated). In crisp, uncirculated condition, it's worth a bit more, but there were so many issued, unfortunately you can't retire on it! I keep the ones I find as talking pieces. People always ask about them unless they're numismatists!

Either way, congratulations! They're ALWAYS fun to find in a cash register! (I work at a grocery store, so I know how it feels!)

~AJ

GoldFinger1969 and Endeavor like this.
  4. Cait

Cait New Member

thats a fun find! congrats on it :)

Endeavor likes this.
  5. samjimmy

samjimmy New Member

I bought an UNC 1935E for $4, and an UNC 1935F for $6 (which is probably too much, but the E wasn't as UNC as one would have hoped UNC would be). After ebay fees, you'd probably be looking at face I'd guess (just from what I've seen).

Endeavor likes this.
  6. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Awwwww... common now ;) SOME of us numismatics dable in bank notes too.

(comments taken and given in good natured fun ;) )

7. ajm229

ajm229 Lincoln Cent Collector

Lol, I didn't mean that! I just meant that everybody who doesn't collect coins I know always has that "shocked and awed" look when I show them my Silver Certs. My collector friends don't and are more serious about it.... :D

8. Anthony Stallone

Anthony Stallone New Member

I have a silver certificate 1935A -E and G 1dollar bills can anyone tell me what they are worth

NOS likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Many are $2-$3 depending on condition.

10. CoinBreaux

CoinBreaux Well-Known Member

You realize you commented on a thread that is TWELVE years old? You can easily create your own post.

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The 35,s in C/U are good finds depemding on the series can bring some good money
    now the 57,s not so much

12. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

Does the 35G have the "In God We Trust" motto on the back?

A clear pic of the note would be helpful in figuring out the grade. I'd like to take a shot at it and have @mpcusa grade my grade :pompous:

13. mpcusa

Yes would be happy to help, post a pic :)

14. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

Sweet! And sorry, I just realized my statement was worded as pushy when I meant to say " and see if @mpcusa would grade my grade?"

15. mpcusa

Here to help you find the penny....LOL

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  16. Kris747

Kris747 New Member

I have a nice 1935E $1.00 bills I'm new to coin and paper collection. My father left me his collection. Can anyone help me?

17. hobbybrat

hobbybrat New Member

I have a 1935D and 1935H. The D has In God We Trust on the back, but the H does not.

18. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The motto was added in the middle of the 1935G’s being printed.
    So the H has it, and the D does not.

Michael K, Drawde and NOS like this.
  19. Charles Case

Charles Case New Member

20. Charles Case

Charles Case New Member

I found the exact bill 2 1935e. plus 1935f and 1934D. The are circulated but decent shape. That's 4 ur answer

21. Charles Case

Charles Case New Member

I was wondering if they was worth anything

Draft saved Draft deleted