Sending a coin in for PCGS restoration service. My first attempt.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Apr 21, 2014.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Here's the coin. It's a 1835 PCGS MS62 Bust half. There are two spots that bother me. One on the obverse under the date and one at about 2 o'clock on the reverse. I'm thinking someone gave it an acetone bath to remove dirt and it left the outline of the spots on the coin's surface? The rest of the toning doesn't bother me at all and looks quite natural.
    According to their website, if they agree to restore it, they will grade the coin again, and if it does not grade or downgrades, they will pay me the difference (PCGS guarantee) according to the PCGS price guide. MS62 is listed at $1675 currently. I'm into this coin $1325. I'll keep you all posted on the results. According to the form it takes 4-6 weeks.

FYI, the darker area above the date seems to be a break in the luster... not really sure.
    DSCN6472.JPG DSCN6479.JPG

jaceravone and geekpryde like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Interesting piece. I agree, those couple spots are quite distracting. I look forward to seeing the results.

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

They don't really bother me at all, but I have coins that do have marks which bother me greatly, so I understand the sentiment.

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'm guessing they'll give it a dip and all the tone will be removed, not just those two spots. I wouldn't mind it, but I can still see a nice cartwheel underneath all the toning.

6. CamaroDMD

That is my guess as well. I can't imagine they would be able to remove the spots alone and not take the remaining toning with it. I'm just hoping they won't find a damaged coin under the toning. The toning appears minimal, so it probably isn't hiding anything...but I have seen even a little toning hide problems.

That said, I think this is a great coin to test their restoration service with.

C-B-D likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Fascinating.

8. john1942sept

john1942sept Member

What is the restoration cost? What do they dip it in? What prevents that from being cleaned?

9. CamaroDMD

It is cleaning...but there is a big difference between safely (properly) cleaning a coin and harshly (improperly) cleaning a coin. Proper cleaning has always been considered acceptable. The problem is, it is an acquired skill.

10. john1942sept

john1942sept Member

What methods are properly used for cleaning? And what chemicals. I have lot that are in need of restoration, but I don't want them to be judged by anyone as cleaned. Most aren't worth paying to have them restored as they wouldn't book for over $500. I had two that some dealers thought were cleaned. Both had a few scratches that came before I acquired, but doubt they had been cleaned as they set for 70 years before I acquired them.

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

$25 whether they agree to restore it or not. If they do, then they also charge 4% of the pcgs price guide value of the grade, plus the regular grading fee (and don't forget shipping!).

john1942sept likes this.
  12. CamaroDMD

There are several methods of restoring coins that are well known and accepted. However, if done incorrectly they can damage the coins. Just because the coins are old, does not mean they haven't been cleaned. For decades, harsh cleaning was considered a good thing to do..today it is not. Coins that were damaged by harsh cleaning back when it was considered acceptable are still considered damaged today.

The best thing to do would be to post clear photos of your coins in a new thread and ask specifically about them. Different cleaning methods apply to different coins and conditions. Once we look at the coins, then we can try and advise the best action.

ldhair and john1942sept like this.
  13. CamaroDMD

Is that 4% of the grade before or after the restoration?

14. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Then send it to me for CACing!!!

C-B-D likes this.
  15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

After... whether it upgrades or downgrades or stays MS62.

16. CamaroDMD

I'm a little confused...as I have never sent in a coin for conservation. But, I have seen examples posted here that have gotten a grade bump due to increased eye appeal after conservation (removal of ugly toning).

So, you submit this coin graded at MS62 for conservation. Lets say they remove those spots and the rest of the toning...and the luster is just booming. So, with the removal of those ugly spots and the newly discovered amazing luster...they grade the coin MS63.

So, is the 4% of PCGS value fee associated with the conservation based off the MS62 value from before or the MS63 value from after?

My guess is the MS62 grade before and your response of "after" was a typo.

17. john1942sept

john1942sept Member

I put out a for sale list with a picture of one that needs restoration. Perhaps a cleaning with acetone and a q-tip would be recommended. That's what a good dealer says, but I hate to tamper at all.

18. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I have sent in coins to NGC for conservation and they always charged me 4% of my assigned value which I never understood because what if I sent in a coin worth $1000 but I only assigned it a value of $1? Anyway something to look into.

19. CamaroDMD

I would not recommend rubbing the surface of a coin with anything...including a q-tip. The cotton fibers will scratch the coin.

john1942sept likes this.
  20. john1942sept

john1942sept Member

Would you dip it in acetone?

21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

No
    No, they will charge me 4% of the final grade. So if it grades 63 it will be 4% of that grade according to PCGS price guide.

Draft saved Draft deleted