WTS: Selling Ostrogoth coin

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by ValiantKnight, Apr 3, 2014.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I have several of these Felix Ravenna decanummi so I'd thought I'd sell one of them off.

Struck by the Ostrogothic tribe during their rule in Italy, only mere decades after the fall of the Roman Empire in the West, this is a rare and wonderful piece (ok, obverse could be better :rolleyes:) from the immediate post-Roman era, when coinage from western Europe gets really, really scarce. Struck most likely during the reign of the famed King Theodoric the Great, the second king of Italy after the fall of the empire, and the most successful ruler of Italy in a century. The obverse features the personification of the city of Ravenna (capital of the Ostrogothic Kingdom), and the reverse a very clear monogram consisting of the letters in "Ravenna" within a wreath, with the Roman numeral "X" at the bottom indicating the value (10 nummi). It is approx. 14-15 mm wide.

I will entertain reasonable offers. Send me a message if interested. Payment by Paypal (no fee for me), shipping to US, Canada, Australia, and most of Europe. One-week no-question returns. More photos on request. Thanks for looking!

City of Ravenna
    , Ostrogothic Kingdom
    AE decanummium
    Obv: FELIX R-AVENNA ("Happy Ravenna"), turreted head of Ravenna right
    Rev: Monogram of Ravenna within wreath, X below, Rome mint (struck during Theodoric's reign, 493-526 AD)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]