SEG Presentation: Vignette prints of the Bureau of Engraving & Printing

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, May 23, 2011.

1. pawl

pawl New Member

Thing is, he missed the Yukon-Alaska-Pacific in 1909 (I linked to earlier), which we see has the same image. Although, in thinking more about this, it is probably an offset printing so the die wasn't directly used (and thus not recorded).

I wish I had access to the vaults at BEP to see the die itself.

BTW, I wrote to them but did not expect any sort of answer since all they provide on the BEP site is a generic info@ email for general inquiries. I was surprised by the reply.

You're very welcome, and thanks for your interest and help along the way!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Just fyi, all the souvenir cards printed for the various expos were intaglio engravings, not offset. They definitely used the actual dies and simply changed the name of the event or didn't include it. They even printed the steel engravings onto silk handkerchiefs, which were actually more popular souvenirs at the time. Here's an example: http://www.cointalk.com/t87239-2/#post865891

midas1 likes this.
  4. gsalexan

I found another usage of one of my vignette proofs on federal currency! "Return of Peace" -- engraved by Charles H. Smith (probably while he was with American Bank Note) appears on the front of the 1869 $50 Legal Tender Note. The statue of Mercury she is holding is different from the one that appears on the note, but apart from that the image is the same. It's always fun to discover how these were used, especially when they turn up on prominent currency like this.

Fyi, I do not own the $50 note shown here...except in my dreams.

Attached Files:

midas1 likes this.
  5. bvinod1000

bvinod1000 Member

I have seen some of these on sale at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing at their gift store in Fort Worth.

B. Vinod
    www.navonanumis.blogspot.com

6. gsalexan

Yes, the Souvenir Card Collectors Society refers to these as "Portrait-Vignette Cards" in their catalog. These are modern reprints of landmarks and prominent people. The BEP used to sell a much larger collection of presidential portraits and Supreme Court justices. Now it appears they limit them to those who are currently seated. A good number of these cards have vignettes like Independence Hall and the Lincoln Memorial which appear on small size notes.

They are also available online and prices are pretty reasonable:
    http://www.moneyfactorystore.gov/engravings.aspx

7. gsalexan

Found a new bump-worthy usage today. This isn't one I own (not yet, anyway), but it's an interesting item. If you jump back to #25 on this thread you can see the fractional currency usage of this vignette. For those unfamiliar with taxpaid revenues, you'll find more on the thread below. Many connections to paper money.

http://www.cointalk.com/t143792/

Attached Files:

8. gsalexan

It's a good day when I pick up an item that combines my collections. One of my esoteric pursuits is early Bureau-engraved taxpaid stamps, some of which share portraits and vignettes with U.S. currency. You can see many of these here:
    http://www.cointalk.com/threads/sec...n-bep-taxpaids-and-special-tax-stamps.143792/

And, illustrated by the thread you're reading, I also collect BEP and bank note proofs, when I can find them. One Bureau vignette I always wondered about was one simply titled "Fruit." Well, yesterday I finally received a taxpaid stamp it was used on -- a scarce one I'd never seen before. A pricey addition, but it made my day. :shame:

9. gsalexan

10. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

I thought I would add a little here to this Great Thread..

I can't remember if I have ever posted these before but ..I still have some engravings that are pretty cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WingedLiberty and USS656 like this.
  11. RickieB

And one of my all time favorites..

[​IMG]

Jwt708 and WingedLiberty like this.
  12. RickieB

This is a special vignette from Mr. Gene Hessler a venerable Author and Paper Money Expert

[​IMG]

WingedLiberty likes this.
  13. RickieB

If I recall correctly USS656 was the 1st recipient of the SEG Group Award..unfortunately is was the first and last due to our friend, the Late Bob Connor passing and myself becoming ill.

I know Krispy did one heck of a job trying to keep this going but it is a tough task keeping everyone involved and engaged.

It would be great if Darrel would post the vignette from his award as it took me a little while to create it..it was an outstanding Female vignette from the Canada and would grace these pages nicely!

Please??

RickieB

14. RickieB

While waiting for USS656 here is another one I adore..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    WingedLiberty and USS656 like this.
  15. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Love it, thanks for sharing - lol - really miss having you around!

16. USS656

Give me a few

17. RickieB

This is an oldie but goodie...
    Edward Everett with a little foxing to the left.. :)

[​IMG]

RickieB

WingedLiberty likes this.
  18. USS656

This is my desk at home. If there is any question of what is important to me take a look at the corner of my desk. Every day I reflect on how much my friends here mean to me! We have shared some great times and inspired each other to learn more about what we are passionate about. RickieB - You are a great friend and have been a great mentor! It's my pleasure to share this again with the members of CT!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOL - Fortunately tomorrow morning I will add a very nice antique glass front bookcase to my office and thus reclaim my desk. Anyone ever wants some tips on Science Fiction/Fantasy to read, just let me know as that is obviously one of my other passions.

Hope everyone has a Happy Easter

Best Wishes Always

Darryl

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    WingedLiberty and RickieB like this.
  19. RickieB

Darryl:

That is simply beautiful...what fond memories that brings back to me and others here.
    I recall the Presentation was insightful, articulate and very well assembled.

Thank you for sharing the memory again...

Kind regards,

RickieB

krispy likes this.
  20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Wow, I love that one. Wonderful old steamer engraving.

21. USS656

Thank you RickieB, The Rittenhouse's I know are great friends and David Rittenhouse's life is a wonderful part of American History. The book shown below is a great read and the man was fascinating beyond belief! I am honored to have a connection with such a cool family!

[​IMG]

WingedLiberty and RickieB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted