San Marino.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, Aug 31, 2010.

1. markcen

markcen Junior Member

San Marino's Post stamps are very famous, and they sell a lot around the world.
    Here some of my San Marino coins
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chrsmat71 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. markcen

markcen Junior Member

4. markcen

markcen Junior Member

5. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

10 centesimi 1894, copper, mintage - 150000 pcs. Roma Mint.

Attached Files:

• 93.jpg
      93.jpg
      File size:
      61.9 KB
      Views:
    • 94.jpg
      94.jpg
      File size:
      103.2 KB
      Views:
    chrsmat71 likes this.
  6. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

10 lire 1933, silver .835, weight - 10 g., size - 27 mm, mintage - 25000 pcs. Engraver: Enrico Saroldi. Roma Mint.

Attached Files:

• 97.jpg
      97.jpg
      File size:
      194.9 KB
      Views:
    • 98.jpg
      98.jpg
      File size:
      192.5 KB
      Views:
    chrsmat71, stevex6 and chrisild like this.
  7. ericl

ericl Senior Member

I think that was Sealand and the Republic of Minerva (which only existed at low tide). All REAL microstates issue REAL stamps and coins.

Prior to the Euro, San Marino's coins were legal tender in Italy (as were the Vatican's). Andorra and Lichtenstein rarely issued REAL coins, but they issued REAL stamps (letters needed to be sent), and the former is issuing REAL euros this year, while the latter is not.

Dubai is part of the UAE, and the UAE issues regular postage stamps, whether or not it issues them in the name of the constituent Emirates I dunno. All REAL countries issue postage stamps without exception.

8. ericl

ericl Senior Member

Getting back to San Marino, the Italian mint would issue very weird commemorative coins in base metals for them and sell them in sets. I remember the World War III (not two, THREE) set very well. It showed people dying of radiation sickness from nuclear bombs. The sets were cheaper than the regular Italian ones.

Nowadays San Marino only issues expensive sliver coins denominated in Euros and Euro sets that are even moreso. Monaco is even worse in that reguard.

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not sure what San Marino set that would have been; maybe they did actually issue such pieces. The only similar set that I recall is the one from 1983 which was about nuclear war, bombs and the apocalypse. Possibly a different one ...

Today San Marino, like all euro countries that have monetary agreements with the EU, issues most of its volume at face. In the cases of Monaco and Andorra that is 80%, San Marino 70% (to be increased to 80% later), Vatican 51%. But of course the collectors who want certain denominations and years will have to buy sets, and those are more expensive. ;)

Christian

10. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Very cool coin from a very cool series. I have the 5 Lire and 10 Lire off to NGC for grading at the moment. Would like to add the 20 Lire one of these days, but the price on them tends to be a wee bit high for a coin that isn't all that rare. My thinking is I can get a nice one for $300 or less if I am patient. In any case, neat coins from the Rome mint, and unlike nearly everything else struck there at the time, these coins are NOT designed by Romagnoli, though the artwork is just as good as anything he did.

11. ericl

ericl Senior Member

That was IT!!!!! World War III and nuclear apocalypse. What a joyous series that was.

Draft saved Draft deleted