San Marino.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Republic of San Marino is a very small country. San Marino is situated on the north central Italy and has an area 60 sq.km. and a population about 23000.
    It is an oldest republic in the world now.
    Old Coins of San Marino is rather nice & rare. I'm glad to share my small collection with you, gentlemen:).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

Monetary system of San Marino was a simple: 100 centesimi = 1 lira.

4. Siberian Man

5 centesimi 1869, copper, mintage - 600000. Minted in Milan.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      33.8 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      35.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Siberian Man

5 centesimi 1935, bronze, mintage - 400000. Minted in Rome.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      32.9 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      39.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Siberian Man

10 centesimi 1936, bronze, mintage - 300000. Minted in Rome.

Attached Files:

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      46.3 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      34.2 KB
      Views:
  7. Siberian Man

5 lire 1935, silver .835, weight - 5 g., mintage - 200000. Minted in Rome.

Attached Files:

• 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      82.1 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      49.3 KB
      Views:
  8. Siberian Man

9. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Thanks for posting this. I like that 1869!

Chris

11. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

[​IMG]

20 lire:

1935 R
    Minatge: 10,000
    KM# 11 20 LIRE
    15.0000 g., 0.8000 Silver 0.3858 oz. ASW Obv: Upright stylized
    feathers above value with crown above Rev: Half length figure of Saint Marinus
    holding the three citadels of San Marino "La Guaita,La Cesta and La Montale" on the three summits of Monte Titano.

@ Siberian Man ~ Great pieces Siberian Man , this is the only Sammarinese coin I have in my collection but I'm planing on picking up the 5 an 10 lire pieces dated 1935 to compliment my 20 lire... anyways, fine pieces Siberian Man , keep it the good work !

12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

You guys have some neat pieces there. :) It is interesting that, until the late 1930s, San Marino had a treaty with Italy that allowed the country to issue lire denominated coins - and that this treaty was not renewed until the early 70s. So between 1939 and 1971, no coins were issued ...

The depiction of St. Marinus on that 20 lire coin is based on a Guercino painting which (AFAIK) is exhibited in the Palazzo Pubblico in the capital. It was also picked for the current 20 cent coin. The three ostrich feathers from the CoA show up on several coins from San Marino, usually combined with the three towers.

Christian

13. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

[​IMG]

Painting of St. Marinus
    by Bartolomeo Gennari 17th century

14. Siberian Man

It is very interesting.

15. ExBingoAddict

ExBingoAddict New Member

San Marino brings back memories of playing where in the world is Carmen Sandiego, (she would hide there) on the old tandy computer. Thank you for sharing the coins, very interesting.

Which reminds me, were not collectible stamps made up a measureable part of San Marino's economy? Or maybe they still do.

16. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

Do you mean "stamps?" Some countries put out "stamps" that have no Franking value, making them more properly described as a sticker. It's like calling a medal a coin.

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

He did write "stamps", so yes, it's very likely he meant (postal) stamps. ;) And the "Philatelic and Numismatic Office" in San Marino (AASFN) does indeed issue coins, stamps and phone cards. They used to make quite a bit of money this way; not sure how much it is these days though. As far as I can tell, postal stamps and phone cards are not collected that much any more, as many use them occasionally only, or not at all. But sure, apart from collecting stamps, you can also use them to frank and then mail a letter ...

Christian

18. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

But when I put stamps in quotation marks I meant stickers, so no, he didn't mean "stamps"... he meant the real thing! I never doubted what he meant, just curious if they actually were. As I recall, there were stickerstamps issued from someplace like Dubai and some African nations.

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yes, the postal stamps from San Marino are "real" stamps in the sense that they actually have a postage value. On the other hand, only a (small?) portion is actually used for the purpose that stamps were originally created for ... Here is a stamp that San Marino issued two years ago, featuring two Liberties so to say. Of course such issues are primarily aimed at collectors. And to get this back to coins :) that Statue of Liberty (in SM) can also be found on the 2 cent coins from the country - see below.

Christian
    [​IMG]

20. ExBingoAddict

ExBingoAddict New Member

Just because I'm an ex bingo bum doesn't mean I don't know what I'm writing about. Yes, I was discussing postal stamps. Thank you Christian

21. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

I didn't realize that you know about the countries that sell un-frankable stickers as their nation's stamps. Was I right that one of them was Dubai?

Draft saved Draft deleted