Sabina Piece

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by LostDutchman, Aug 31, 2013.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Hi gang!

I have spent the last 2 days attributing and packing all the ancients I have been buying... I'm about 1/3 of the way done.

I came across this one and am having trouble nailing it down. I would think it's a dupondius... but I can find no listings for that denomination for Sabina.

IMG_8056.JPG IMG_8058.JPG IMG_8060.JPG IMG_8061.JPG

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great lookin' coin!! ... and very cool post, with the scale and micrometer!! (cool)

... but sadly, I don't have a Sabina Dupondius, so I cannot answer you question

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I believe it to be:

Sabina, As circa 128-137. SABINA AVGVSTA HADRIANI AVG P P Draped and diademed bust right, wearing wreath of grain ears Rev. CONCORDIA AVG Concordia seated left, holding patera and resting l. elbow on statue of Spes set on a base; under chair, cornucopiae. In exergue, SC. RIC Hadrian 1037. C. 22. BMC Hadrian 1889.

See here: http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=666368

LostDutchman likes this.
  5. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I'd say you are right. Thanks!

6. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Awesome coin, its a keeper...;)

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

At the time of Hadrian, a dupondius should still show more yellow (orichalcum) while this is distinctly red as an as should be. A century later the metal distinction was not as great and you start seeing empress pieces that are listed as 'dupondius or as'.

Draft saved Draft deleted