Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Bicentennials are tossbacks, unless you find a mint state one and you have a hole in your Dansco Album that needs filling. I find dozens of them in every box, it seems, and I don't keep any of them. However, 2002 to present are keepers as well as proofs and 1987.

Most of the 40% silver halves have a very different look to them on the sides. They are darker than the normal Clad. However, I have found 5 or 6 of them that look clad from the side as the middle is copper color. It is very weird when I find one like that, but it happens....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Good to know what else to pick, and thanks for the info on the 40% clad.

4. tiag12

tiag12 w/out the penny we'd all

Recently I ordered (eBay) some penny rolls wherein one roll had several steel cents. What's the history on these steelies? Does anyone know if there are coin collecting books I can put these steelies in or do I have to use coins holders instead?

As ALWAYS your help is very, very much appreciated.

I got another order in today, looks like I'm leaving work early.

5. anubis10111

anubis10111 Junior Member

Two days ago I was calling some banks around my area, to see if they have any Halfs dollars one bank told me they had $70 dollars in rolls and 13 dollars loose, so I went ahead and purchased them from her, when she pulled out the ones that were loose, to my surprise all the 13 dollars were franklins. I was excited to go home and search the rolled ones, when i did i found six 64s and ten 40s. What a lucky day!!

6. anubis10111

anubis10111 Junior Member

I also been having some luck searching boxes of half dollars that i asked my bank to order for me. Tomorrow Im going to pick up two boxes, One question, why do some people like to keep the ones that are from 2002 and present? because i have found lots of them but I just put them back in the rolls and take them back to the bank. I know that is good to keep the ones from 1987 if u are lucky enough to find them, I have found 3 already..and what about the 1986 halfs? are those good to keep? Well guys Ill post whatever I find tomorrow from the boxes im going to pick up tomorrow.

7. joey0053

joey0053 ZERT Operator

went to BofA today and found a 1979 barber, no big deal but dont have one in my collection so i grabed. also got a roll of halfs, no silver but found a 1971-D that was nice and shiny, also has a thicker rim around it compared to anyothers ive seen. and a 2000-D that was nice and shiny as well decide to keep it cuz thats the year i graduated high school. going back tomorrow to grab the other roll of halfs they had.

8. joey0053

joey0053 ZERT Operator

yuo know what guys, i said barber but its actually a susan b, sorry for the mix up.

9. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

Wow that is a lucky day nice pickups!

10. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Answers

• Any Cent album from Whitman or Dansco or another company will have slots for the 1943 steele cents. Whitman books are great for the beginner as they are very reasonably priced and it is a lot of fun to fill up all of the holes. Good luck.
    • NICE finds Anubis
    • 2002 through the present half dollar coins are kept by many because the mintages are very low compared to other years. Half dollars were not made for circulation starting in 2002, and have only been made for collectors since then.
    • Joey, I was very confused about a 1979 "Barber," thanks for clearing that up.

11. joey0053

joey0053 ZERT Operator

sorry about that, i would have perfered the barber though.

12. Grimster

Grimster Junior Member

searched $200 in nickels. One no-date buffalo and a 1944 D and 1944 P war nick :)

13. davidlandon

davidlandon Junior Member

Got 4 boxes of pennies from my bank today to search. Guess I won't search them, they are all new 2010 shields. I'd like to have some rolls to search, but I like making money almost as much :)

14. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I will trade some perfectly searchable rolls with you :) Nice find, I have been looking for a while.

15. tiag12

tiag12 w/out the penny we'd all

Received one roll yesterday from an eBay Seller. The coins range in dates from 1909 - 1959. Some notables were the "S" coins.
    44 & 45

"D" Coins

The Rest had no mint mark.

There over all condition was poor at best. I received another roll from another eBay Seller last week, dates are close, but the conditions were fair in comparision. My focus now is on good to fair condition coins from 1857 to 1940 "D" & "S" but I guess fair and good conditions are up to the interpretation of the beholder.

16. davidlandon

Went through 1000 wheats I purchased on ebay: 6 IHC, 56 10s, 98 20s, 74 30s, the rest 40s/50s. For $55 shipped I feel pretty good about the mix....it's always fun finding IHCs in wheat lots too.

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Try ordering boxes from a bank or credit union that places orders directly through the Federal Reserve. It sounds to me like you are merely searching coins that you have already gone through and are recycled through your bank's own system. (BoA does this.) Credit Unions usually order from the Fed, and if one near you requires that you have an account, give them $100 to start one. Many of the credit unions also have coin machines that are free for account holders.

Chris

18. mumu

mumu Junior Member

I think I found my first error though not very exciting:

[​IMG]

19. davidlandon

I have actually got over 10 boxes of the shield pennies from my bank within the last month. Wish I could get lucky with some nickels or dimes.

20. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

out of 3 banks, 111$ in halves:

3 Frankies
    4 64
    2 67
    2 68

and a mint (packaging) roll of 2006D (a first for everything! :cool:)

21. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

Very nice finds!

Draft saved Draft deleted