Roll-searchers, post your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by chicken_little, Oct 24, 2005.

1. TaborTot22

TaborTot22 Well-Known Member

2 Boxes of Dimes: 2xRoosies (1956, 1964), GB 5 Pence, Aussie Coin, 2006P CND

jlogan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Sometimes I'll find 2 or 3 1964 nickels in a single roll. Occasionally I'll find up to 5. They are as common as 1965 quarters.

4. dangolf1890

dangolf1890 Junior Member

First time coin roll hunting. Went through $500 worth of dimes and $500 worth of quarters. Wrappers were clear so I was glad I didn't have to open each roll. Pretty pissed that all I ended up finding was 1 1964 Roosevelt dime. No silver quarters whatsoever. For all the trouble of having to asking for $500 worth of dimes and of quarters and having to deposit them, not sure if this hobby is for me. Also, if one were to open the rolls and look for errors/die varieties, how do you roll them back up?

5. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

Today's work finds:
    15 wheats.
    Nickels, '39x2, '40, '41, '45P war.

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Good luck finding silver quarters. I've only found 3 in over $5k searched. I average 1 silver dime per ~$290 searched. The silver is out there but it has been picked through pretty well. You have to do lots of volume to make it worth it.
    Also, to answer your last question - Try to avoid rolling it if you can. Takes up such a huge amount of time. If you can find a bank with a coin machine to join that would be best. I have accounts at several that I pick up and dump off. All of them have coin machines that make dumping easier.

spirityoda likes this.
  7. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

my problem with coin machines is that they always count some of the dimes as cents and some of the dollars as quarters. the other day i put $140 in halves through the coin machine at my bank and the total came to $136.55 somehow. this is why i prefer rolling.

NOS likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

I've had it go both ways. Usually I run the dimes through slower and don't have any problems. I've had times when the sensors were off and counted my cents as dimes and one time that counted my nickels as quarters :)

9. furryfrog02

$60 quarters - 2x 2014P Great Smokey Mountains
    $400 dollars - 2012P Chester Arthur, 2013P Theodore Roosevelt

10. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

$100 CWR ikes- 1986-S statue of liberty

spirityoda likes this.
  11. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

What are your most impressive work finds? Mine are a 1912 V nickel, a bicentennial 40% silver business strike, several '50s Franklin halves, several 1943 steel pennies, a 1893 Indian head penny, several war nickels, and a 1861 British half penny.

12. furryfrog02

So last week was pretty much a wash. 6 of 8 boxes were solid 2014P. The other two boxes only gave 18 wheats, no errors or varieties.

This week was better. 8 boxes gave up 88 wheats, 18 of which were pre-40. Several were sub-50 million mintages including 1920S, 1936S, 1938D, and 1938S(a hole filler for me!). I now have a full date/mm run from 1934-present.

Also in the boxes were 5 pre-60 Canadians(41, 51, 55, and 57) as well as 1-1998 WAM(my 29th) and 3-2000 WAM's(42nd-44th).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    spirityoda and NOS like this.
  13. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

The Easter Bunny left me a treat a work today, I found my first 1950D Jefferson Nickel!
    IMG_6561.JPG IMG_6564.JPG

14. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

Besides the silver, some of my best finds are an 1883 'No Cents' V nickel in amazing condition, 3 buffalo nickels, 2 steel pennies, a 1904 indian head, 2 mercury dimes, and the 1944 cent with a double lamination error in my avatar.

bugo likes this.
  15. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Congratulations. A few weeks ago I spotted a 1950 nickel in a roll. I put it aside and looked through the rest of the roll hoping it had the D mintmark. Alas, it didn't. Still it was a fairly rare coin in circulation.

JohnV likes this.
  16. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

There's a lot of stuff still out there, you just have to go through a lot of skunk to find it.

spirityoda and JohnV like this.
  17. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

Definitely, I always wonder how many older coins are still in circulation today like V nickels, indian heads, standing liberty quarters, etc.

bugo likes this.
  18. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I haven't found a standing Liberty quarter but I know there are Indian heads and V nickels out there.

19. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

$225 dollars- all 1999-D and 2000-D :(

20. sergeant

sergeant Not a Member

One Roosevelt dime is okay I guess. (I rarely do dimes and only found a 1964d dime.) and don't do quarters.

21. dangolf1890

dangolf1890 Junior Member

Went through $300 worth of halves today...a whole lot of '71s but no silver. Really bummed. Maybe b/c I live in a big town (San Francisco) that everything has been picked through here.

Draft saved Draft deleted