Robert Chambers passed away?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GreenPVCHaze, Apr 16, 2014.

1. GreenPVCHaze

GreenPVCHaze New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

4. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I've been one to rip on their shenanigans, but it truly is a sad day for the hobby and his family. I hope his family is comforted by the fact that he's now resting peacefully and no longer in pain.

5. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

This is going to sound REALLY insensitive.... But I fail to see how this is a bad day for the hobby?

I do feel for his family... it is sad...

But you never once saw him at any coin conventions... and he hucked overpriced coins to unknowing people. So his mark on the hobby really is minimal... it might be more like a smear on the hobby.

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Not insensitive at all, sir; a man is in death the same man that he was in life.

Endeavor and beef1020 like this.
  7. GreenPVCHaze

GreenPVCHaze New Member

Dutchman, all of that is true, and I can see both sides of the coin on this (pun intended). I consider him to be *somewhat* innocuous on the huckster spectrum, certainly more misleading and dishonest than a Rick Tomaska, but he didn't tell as many outright lies as Mike Mezack does regularly on HSN.

Sure, his items were overpriced and he used weasel words to imply rarity and/or value, but he isn't as horribly dishonest as some of the self-slabbers on eBay, who sell cleaned and damaged junk in holders they sealed in their garage as MS70's. It can be debated whether it's a worse buy to purchase a significantly overgraded MS70 in a self-slabber holder, or an extremely overpriced PCGS/NGC coin or proof set (whatever) from Robert Chambers at CoinVault.

All in all, he wasn't the absolute worst coin crook on TV in my opinion, though he certainly left thousands of people with overpriced coins that will never reach the value they paid for them in the owners' lifetimes. Is Littleton any worse? Also debatable.

I really did enjoy his presentations, but purely for their entertainment value. It's like someone that knows plenty about sports watching a random Shop-At-Home host selling sports collectibles. It's sure to provide a few laughs because of their blatant ignorance about the items they're selling. Chambers was like the used car salesman of the TV Coin world, but I'm glad he's no longer in pain and can rest in peace.

JPeace$ likes this.
  8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

No worries here. I was trying to be nice, since I've certainly made fun of his and other shows on TV. I never met the man, so I didn't want to disparage him upon his death.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am very sad to hear someone has passed away. This is always a tragedy for a family, and my prayers go out for them personally.

I will mourn for our hobby when someone like David Bowers, Victor England, or others who dealt fairly and given back to the hobby.

That is all I have to say.

halvessearcher and LostDutchman like this.
  10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

GreenPVCHaze likes this.
  11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'll bet he was greeted at the pearly gates by P. T. Barnum.

12. Losing a loved one is very tough. My condolences to his family and friends.

GreenPVCHaze likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted