Removing Old Rubber Cement (or is it contact cement!)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jays-dad, Jan 27, 2011.

1. jays-dad

jays-dad Member

I bought 5 sets of coins on ebay. The coins were fairly cheap, but shipping was high. By buying all 5 sets and getting combined shipping, the cost per coin wasn't too bad. I spent $46 for all which included shipping. Some really nice higher value coins. The sets are in frames:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120673270824&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120673270461&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120673271190&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120673271951&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170592133424&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

All of the coins are from proof and mint sets, so some stuff of value. However, the coins were attached to the cardbaord with rubber cement. If I were going to put together some cheap tourist set like this, I certainly would not use proof coins! Some of the coins were spared, he glue dried up and the coins fell right out, some were not spared and are stuck to the cardboard. A bunch are damaged both from the glue on one side, but also from contact with the plexiglass on the other side. I'm starting to regret this purchase.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jays-dad

jays-dad Member

4. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

You could try soaking the coins in acetone to see if it will dissolve the glue. Just rinse them well after use and make sure you use it in a well ventilated area.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I agree. Acetone should do the trick in removing the remaining glue.

Not to be debbie-downer but there may be underlying damage -- I've seen it before when glue is removed.

Good luck.

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Since the glue is drying up and some of the coins are falling off, my first (and only) guess would be that it ISN'T rubber cement.
    BUT
    There is a product that basically is made for removal of rubber cement.
    It's called Bestine.
    And I believe like acetone it is inert to the coining metals (but read the label and test it first).

7. jays-dad

jays-dad Member

I bought the acetone. So now, how do I use it? Fill a dish and put the coins in? Wet a cloth and wipe down?

8. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

It is 100% acetone right?

There's a detailed process I'll let someone else explain, but you'll basically need 3 dishes with acetone, and lots of distilled water.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is quite possible it is not the rubber cement as we know it, if the product is from Europe, where different components were used. But a solvent like acetone is probably your best bet, although if you haven't , try water first ( just soak for a while), then move to acetone if not working. I would soak in acetone in a glass container with a tight cap for a hr or so and check results. If it is working then transfer to a container of clean acetone, and when all glue appears gone, another container of clean acetone or two. I don't believe in rinsing with water. Rinse with acetone, holding the coin vertical as you do so , and allow to air dry. Acetone evaporates 100% in a minute or so, and if any liquid remains, or a white film, it is a contaminant, so repeat the soak and rinse with more clean acetone. Expect a difference in appearance of the surface that was under the glue compared to the surface that wasn't. Use caps on acetone containers.

The original rubber glue was particles of rubber and leather dust and solvent and used to glue rubber sheets together.

Jim

10. EvilKidsMeal

EvilKidsMeal New Member

This may be a dumb question but does acetone count as cleaning a coin? I'm not planning on doing it, since I have no coins in need of this treatment, but does it de-value coins? Just curious

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Some do say it is cleaning. However, since it leaves no residue itself and doesn't react with metal chemically ( except a few express that it may affect copper ). Usually, when the word "cleaning" is used with coin, it denotes an action which leaves evidence and damage to the metal surface. Since I go with that definition, I would not call it cleaning. Done correctly, no direct damage is done by the acetone, but it may uncover previous damage that was covered by PVC damage or organic material dissolved by the acetone, such as wax, etc. IMO.

Jim

12. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Acetone, used properly, doesn't fall under the definition of cleaning a coin. To me, it's more about active preservation of the coin, and given that acetone evaporates without leaving anything behind, it's great for removing dirt, grime, glue, etc.

13. EvilKidsMeal

EvilKidsMeal New Member

So in theory if done correctly you could use it on even the most expensive coin without affecting its value? Remember this is in theory and I definately wouldn't try it.

14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Always test on cheap coins to make sure you wont get a bad reaction! some acetone is
    Not 100% pure!

15. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

i have i coin and i dont really plan on selling it, but i want to clean it so i can see the details better, is the only way to use acetone? or can i use a household product?

16. jays-dad

jays-dad Member

I cleaned them up, most came out pretty good. The glue (?) on one remained stubbornly in place even after an hour in the acetone. A few had underlying damage from contact with the glue or the plexiglass. Overall, not bad. Overall I think I made some good purchases here. Besides, I got a set of five matching frames that I might use for displaying some banknotes or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted