Question: Editing forum posts

Discussion in 'Support and Feedback' started by OldDogEyes, Aug 30, 2011.

1. OldDogEyes

OldDogEyes Full of a lot of hot air.

I seem to be unable to edit a post that I made in the Forsale forum... I edited it once, but now there is no edit option. I wanted to update the posting to reflect something that was sold.

Also, I am unable to reply to the thread...

Are those two issues known limitations of the CT forums?

Thanks
    Doug
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem MODERATOR Senior Errer Collecktor Moderator

Yes, those are intentional. The original poster can edit for 24 hrs, then it is closed. This is to prevent retroactive changes that were not part of original deal, and additional posts are not allowed to prevent it becoming a Thread rather than an advertisement, and probably also to prevent "bumping" .

Jim
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Dombes collector ****

On a general matter, it seems we are able to edit posts for a couple hours after posting them, then it's automatically locked.
    Well, at least it's the way I understand it

Q
  6. GDJMSP

As already stated, you can edit any post for 24 hrs. After that, you can't.
  7. OldDogEyes

OldDogEyes Full of a lot of hot air.

Ok, at least I know... Thanks...
  8. xtronic

xtronic Junior Member

9. GDJMSP

Hopefully, you read post #2 in that thread.
  10. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

I have a couple ideas for threads that I'd like to post where I'll need to continually edit the original post based on input from members. Is there anyway to change the current configuration that only allows editing for 24 hours?
  11. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Personally, I don't like to see edited or deleted posts once the conversation gets under way. It makes it confusing when you want to use a thread for reference and the original post has been altered or disappears all together. Just add to the thread and copy the post you want to make the changes to. It'll also keep things current. I hate having to go through pages and pages of posts to see what the new poster was referring to.
  12. green18

green18 Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That's probably an option reserved for mods and administrators.....
  13. GDJMSP

Correct.
  14. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

OK, here's an example: What banks offer free checking accounts?

You WILL have to go through pages and pages of posts. I'd like to be able to keep an updated alphabetized list in the original post as members contribute.

There is another thread that was start in the CRH forum as an FAQ for roll hunting. That also would be benefit from adding ideas all to the original post.
  15. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I know what you're saying and it would work for something like this. However, some will take advantage of this. On other forums, I've seen an OP delete every single post they've made in a long thread and you can't make out heads or tails of what it was about.

What you're talking about could probably be done by pm'ing a moderator and asking them to add or adjust that post.

I like it the way it is.
  16. green18

green18 Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Let's not go there. Doug's grumpy enough.......:)
  17. GDJMSP

Me grump ? I'm a sweetheart ;)

And yes, you can ask any mod to edit a post for you, as long as it's within reason. We will not delete posts or threads for you as that is against CT policy.

And Moonshine, your examples would probably be OK up to a point. But eventually you're going to run out of room because there is a word limit on posts. And having a single post that goes on for pages is not a good idea either.

Having all of the information on a given subject in single post or even a single thread may seem like a good idea at first. But it isn't because it soon gets to be hard to read.

Perhaps you do not realize that the Search function can be used on individual forum sections and it can be used on individual threads within a forum section as well. That makes it pretty dang easy to find just about anything in particular that you are looking for and eliminates the need for everything to be in 1 single post.