question and a find

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jd3681, Jun 7, 2005.

1. jd3681

jd3681 Senior Member

First, my find: I was cleaning out the ashtray (Used for coins) in my truck after my wife used it and found about 40 wheat pennies years 40's and 50's. Nothingin any good shape or that I need but still a cool find.

Now the question, recently I mailed a few wheaties to a freind and when they got to him the envelope was opened and the pennies were gone. What kind of suggestions do any of you have to send coins? These are not worth much monetarily, just were some he needed for a set.

thanks

JD

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. whoopig

whoopig New Member

Do not mail coins in an envelope. Use a padded mailer or box no matter the value of the coins. They are cheap and do not scream "I have money inside".

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And don't pack the coins loose in the envelope or box either. Place them in flips or 2x2's. It is also a good idea to insure the package - only cost a bit over a dollar for $50 insurance.

5. Robert

Robert New Member

Having done a stint in the Post Office I can pass this along. If they were loose in the envelope they could of actually burst through an outlying edge of the envelope. Letter (envelopes) get whipped around through auto processing extremely fast. Was the outside of the envelope compromised at all???

6. knowtracks

knowtracks Senior Member

Originally Posted by jd3681,

Now the question, recently I mailed a few wheaties to a freind and when they got to him the envelope was opened and the pennies were gone. What kind of suggestions do any of you have to send coins? These are not worth much monetarily, just were some he needed for a set

-----------------------------------------------------

Don't you remember how the coins were packaged that your son received???

7. jd3681

jd3681 Senior Member

boy knowtracks, now I feel like the 6 year old being scolded by her teacher.

point taken

8. knowtracks

knowtracks Senior Member

JD,
    Scolding was NOT my intention, just to use that packaging as an example of how to get it there. Some pretty weird things happen to stuff in the mail. It doesn't matter how you package it if someone wants in. But for everyday abuse, some precautions will help.

9. jd3681

jd3681 Senior Member

knowtracks,
    I knew you weren't scolding, I meant to put the smiley face after and forgot. I appreciate any and all info that you and all the cointalk folks give.

What I should have said was;

boy am I a blockhead because your padded envelope was sitting right beside my computer :D

good day, and happy collecting

JD

10. jimmy-bones

jimmy-bones Senior Member

How big is that ashtray?? Or better yet how old is your truck?

As for the packaging...if I use an envellope, which I often do for lower valued coins, I try to make it a smooth as possible by placing cardboard on both sides of the coins.

11. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I've had a lot of success mailing coins by cutting a piece of corrugated cardboard to fit the envelope, then using a utility knife to cut out an opening just large enough to hold the coin (or its holder) and taping the cutout over the coin to the rest of the card.

This works for both 2x2s and "bare" low value circulated coins. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted