Question about Unopened proof sets

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zaneman, Sep 17, 2006.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I was just about to comment on this. It was posted on NGC, and the envelopes were sealed, and they were still in the original sealed, shipping box from the Mint. I've purchased unopened Mint orders in the original shipping boxes ranging anywhere from mid-50's to mid-60's. Some of them were sealed and some of them weren't.

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

I know the sets from 1960 - 1965, the envelopes were not sealed prior to shipping to the customer from the Mint. A lot of people who bought those sets sealed them after inspecting the coins, and there are some that remain sealed in the shipping carton the Mint placed them in prior to shipping.

4. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

The video shows ALL the 1961 envelope flaps inside a SEALED Mint delivery box to be sealed...how do you explain that?

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Does it ? I sure didn't see anything in that video that convinced that box was from the US Mint. Did you ?

But let's just assume it was. After 50 years of sitting around who knows where, who knows how much humidity affected those envelopes.

I actually bought sets from the Mint in the 1960's - they were not sealed. Ever !

6. I did not know the Mint used newspaper to pack inside their boxes. He should check the date on that newspaper! TC

7. DMiller

DMiller Junior Member

The bottom of the YouTube description states March 16, 1961.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Doug,

Here are good photos of the shipping box.

Chris

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4672649#Post4672649

9. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Storage conditions will cause an envelope to seal. Having recently gone through 32 sets from an estate and selling an original mint box unopened I am certainly convinced the envelopes can seal on their own in the wrong storage conditions.

[​IMG]

10. BUncirculated

How do you explain that the 6 of each from 60 to 65 I received when I was younger, were not, and still are not sealed to this day?

11. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Dang!! I didn't believe it...but you really are OLD!! :eek:

12. BUncirculated

No telling where that little box came from, and for all anyone knows, since there is no close up of the shipping label, that could have been sent from the mint in 1966, when the flat packs were no longer used.

P.S. All of my 60-65 were not sealed envelopes either. ;)

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I purchased an unopened Mint box of eighty (80) 1962 mint sets a while back. If I ever open the box, I'll post the results.

14. BUncirculated

AS GD pointed out, those have sat around since they were received from the Mint by the original owner of them, and no telling what humidity and moisture may have done to the glue on the envelope flaps.

You younguns(lol), can believe it or not believe but, but I can attest to the fact that the 6 each proof sets I ordered each year from 1960 - 1965, the envelopes were not sealed by the U.S. Mint, nor were any proof sets my friends and neighbors ordered those years.

The envelopes, were left open at shipment to the buyers, and remained opened unless the purchasers sealed them.

15. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I believe you! My Father left me some proof sets that were never sealed.

LOL...wouldn't that be the worst job in the world? ...the guy that has to lick 500,000 envelopes?

LOL...then go home and his wife ask him to mount her S&H green stamps!

LMAO!!! ...then his wife doesn't understand why he just wants to sleep!!! :D

16. BUncirculated

lol

17. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Maybe the lickers tongue got tired?

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Then he don't understand why his wife won't kiss him good nite........

19. BUncirculated

Tommy: "My dad's a fireman, what's your dad do?"

Frank: "Well my dad's a policeman. Hey Steve, what does your dad do?"

Steve: "Well my dad's a licker."

20. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Actually Doug, the fellow opening the box bought it off of eBay and it had a US Mint label on it. I'll see if I can grab some pitchers!

Better yet, here's the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/75-1961-PROOF-SETS-ORIGINAL-SEALED-MAILING-BOX-/170615452963?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item27b9793523

Now, I ain't saying that folks who've opened these boxes and found "unsealed" proof sets are nuts but as evidenced by the video, some were, and are, in fact truely sealed. Whether its sealed by the US Mint or sealed due to storage conditions doesn't really matter as the point is that some CAN be sealed with full legitimacy.

As with anything regarding this hobby, it's all just a big gamble.

Now for me, if a set had been resealed, it wouldn't really matter since I could only assume that whomever resealed it "might" have simply been looking for Cameo coins.
    Then again, maybe they were ignoring the cameo coins (which have really only gained popularity in the past 15 years or so with some TPG's not even DESIGNATING Cameo attributes) and simply looking for the DDR Franklin?
    Then again, maybe they were looking for error coins?

However, given the fact that what ever they were looking for may NOT be what I'd be looking for, I'll sometimes take the chance.

I have found some nice doubled die coins in Proof sets I've purchased that were already opened and presumably searched. The coins are important to me but may have no significance to someone else.

Again, sealed proof sets can be a gamble that some may be willing to take. I'm one of them and sometimes, I'm glad that I'm one of them. Other times, I just chalk it up to the cost of the hunt.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I saw the pics, somebody else already posted them. Doesn't change anything though. As I said in my response, I was willing to assume it was from the mint.

People can post all the pictures and videos they want of packages. But I lived it, saw it first hand with my own eyes, I bought sets from the mint since the 1960's.

How can a picture of somebody opening a package today change what I saw with my own eyes ?

Draft saved Draft deleted