Question about this 2003 Maine Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Trey Davis, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Trey Davis

Trey Davis Junior Member

First post. I'm not a collector, but came across this quarter, and had some questions about it.
    It's a 2003, state quarter featuring Maine.
    The 'heads' side is a normal silver color, however, the 'tails' side is a gold color. Was this a special issue quarter, that I just haven't heard of? Is it an error?
    Should I put it up for sell, or put it in the vending machine?
    Thanks for any and all help you can give.
    -Trey

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. airedale

airedale New Member

Seems like you can purchase gold colored ( plated? ) ones on eBay. Maybe they just forgot to do a side

4. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Looks like they plated the reverse bust didn't remember, or just didn't bother, to plate the obverse. Numismatically it's worth exactly 25 cents. However you may want to keep it for sake of novelty rather than anything else, if you like the way it looks. Else just buy a soda with it, lol...

5. serpent

serpent Junior Member

I would hold on to it, until you get further information on it. Do you have a dealer you trust to take it too? Maybe one of the error people, might like to have it for a novelt item.

6. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

Is the coin thinner or lighter than a normal quarter?

Could be a missing clad error.

7. Trey Davis

Trey Davis Junior Member

I don't really know of any dealers around here. You guys are my only trusted 'coin-people'.. haha..
    The thickness isn't thinner than a normal quarter. At least not the two I compared it to. If anything, it looks like it may be a fraction of a millimeter thicker.

8. Scotto

Scotto I collect what I like

What is the weight of the coin?

9. Trey Davis

Trey Davis Junior Member

I couldn't really give you an exact weight right now.. I'll try to get it though.

10. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Unless you changed the color of the photo before you uploaded it I'm betting that it is plated.....Missing clay layers don't have this type of color---it looks more copper (see photo below)....if the coin looks copper then you might have something but if it looks gold then its pretty sure its plated.

Speedy

11. Trey Davis

Trey Davis Junior Member

No, I think it's probably plated. That bright gold color is pretty much the way it is in person.. Well hey, if nothing else, it is at least an attractive quarter!
    So if some US quarters were plated as part of a commemorative set or something, is this one still not worth anything even though it wasn't plated on both sides?

12. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

If it is plated it was not done by the Mint so that means its not worth any more than face value.
    I would still suggest getting the weight.

Speedy

Draft saved Draft deleted