Puck "Cents"

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Phil Ham, May 11, 2013.

1. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Many of us on this site are collectors. Even the bullion buddies are often collectors at heart. Does it really matters who is buying the pucks? They are now selling faster than they were in 2012. The lower price is certainly one factor but the high quality and innovative designs are another.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Here is the latest update on the mintages from coinupdate.com and the ebay value of the pucks. It may be the recent hype as all the 2013 pucks sold out and/or the Christmas season, but most have gone up over the past couple of weeks. Specifically, the El Yungue seems to have seen a good price increase. Some pucks are having little sales action on the bay suggesting that the collectors are keeping them in lieu of flipping them. It may also suggest that the prices are going to head further north. My fingers are crossed.

2010 (Average Sales Price of $280)
    Hot Springs (NP1) $250 27,000
    Yellowstone (NP2) $280 27,000
    Yosemite (NP3) $270 27,000
    Grand Canyon (NP4) $270 26,019
    Mount Hood (NP5) $230 26,928
    2011 (Average Sales Price of $215)
    Gettysburg (NP6) $230 24,625
    Glacier (NP7) $230 20,856
    Olympic (NP8) $230 18,398
    Vicksburg (NP9) $230 18,594
    Chickasaw (NP10) $230 16,827
    2012 (Average Sales Price of $215)
    El Yungue (NQ0) $300 17,314
    Chaco Culture (NQ1) $200 17,146
    Acadia (NQ2) $390 14,978
    Hawaii (NQ3) $650 14,863
    Denali (NQ4) $285 15,225
    2013 (Average Sales Price of $155)
    White Mountains (NQ5) $220 20, 530
    Perry's Victory (NQ6) $195 17,716
    Great Basin (NQ7) $195 17,802
    Fort McHenry (NQ8) $195 19,808
    Mount Rushmore (NQ9) $195 - Probably near 25k

4. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

My line was...."How do you know the people buying are collectors and not speculators or dumb bullion buyers..?"

Did I call any of you dumb bullion buyers...?...Nope!...It's clear to me that you guys aren't in this for just the precious metels.
    In the context I used the phrase I'm talking about a person who is new to INVESTING in silver and goes around paying nice size premiums for silver even though they don't care about numismatics or care how aesthetically pleasing the coin looks. You know they're out there or there wouldn't be those late night teleshopping coin shows ripping people off on numismatic coins and bullion.

Troodon likes this.
  5. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I wish we could fast-forward ten years so someone could say 'I told you so.' That seems to be what someone is looking for here.

6. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

Exactly! It seems that some folks like to justify their purchases by seeking out someone else to agree with them. I don't think they were looking for people who didn't agree to chime in. I guess if you don't have something agreeable to say, don't say anything at all.

7. Silver Budha

Silver Budha Member

So Phil you're only looking at the Philadelphia mintages on the bay right?

Has anyone looked at what the $ drop is for the generic ATBs comparitively?

I picked up two Rushmore's from the US mint the day before they were sold out...Now they keep pushing back the delivery date and the last time that happened from the mint, they ended up cancelling my order...anyone else have this experience?

8. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Yes, I'm looking only at the collector's version. As I mentioned in this thread somewhere, I'm thinking that the bullion versions will be worth, well, bullion value.

9. afox

afox sometime collector

My order placed on the 8th shipped on the 13th. I hope to get it today? As long as the weather isn't an issue. We had some snow last night in MA.

Silver Budha likes this.
  10. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The final sales figures for the Rushmore puck are 23,331. I guess they didn't make 25,000 of them.

11. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

At least the mint is consistent in their misrepresentation of their products.

12. silv

silv Active Member

Mr Roots seems to be making good counter points. I agree with his speculative caution. I cringe when I see people calling these "US coins", that's a long stretch. But if you love them then no second guessing allowed! Stack em up. I bought a bullion puck this year but feel Washington has been butchered and couldn't bring myself to stack more. Someday though the mint marked pucks will be worth a lot and I'll wish I had a full set.

13. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

I am in the group of people that likes them (or some of them) because of the design or the fact I have been to those places. I don't really care about the future value. I don't look at the Washington side of the coins very often, so I can't really comment on whether it has been butchered or not. I prefer symbols and designs on coins much more than the facial profiles of politicians.

If I was able to change 1 thing about this series, it would be this::

Make them in a proof version rather than the cheesy vaporized finish. Mexico can do it; Canada can do it and Australia can do it. Why can't the U. S.? They would probably be more expensive, but some of those designs would look outstanding in a proof strike.

onecenter and Silver Budha like this.
  14. statequarterguy

The portrait of Washington on the AtB’s is the original design from 1932, it’s much more life like than the “spaghetti” hair design used on the state quarters.

I know many like modern proofs, but I prefer the matte proof look of these pucks. But then, I only buy the “BU” (or matte proof) version of the modern commemorative dollars – they look much more like the old “frosty” silver dollars than the mirrored proofs. I guess to me, the mirrored proofs look more like medals than classic US coins.

15. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I bought a few of these simply because they're outright gorgeous to look at - I love the Chaco Canyon, Fort McHenry and Rushmore designs... I have absolutely no idea if their value will skyrocket or not... it did seem like values for the state quarters were higher while the series was active and then decreased (more or less) once it ended... the same may happen to this series, but who really knows? In the end, they're just cool.

16. halvessearcher

halvessearcher Active Member

Maybe they just make 25,000 and weed out the problem coins thus final sales figure of 23,331 ?

17. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Are you suggesting a quality rate of 93.3% from the mint? I would peg it closer to 99% as I'm hoping that their closer to world class.

18. statequarterguy

I don't know, I ordered 3 and returned 2 problem coins - but, I doubt the return ratio was that high for all.

19. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Coinupdate.com has provided their final 2013 report on the mint sales of the pucks. I've reviewed the completed sales on ebay and made a few revisions. It appears from the low amount of completed sales of ebay that flippers aren't selling the pucks, or they're too busy with other things over the holidays, or they're selling them through other avenues. From the few completed ebay sales, the sales prices haven't varied too much. Below is my last update of 2013. If I was a guessing man and I guess I am, I would predict an eventual increase in prices for Chickasaw, Chaco Culture, Perry's Victory, and Great Basin and a drop in price for Hawaii and probably Acadia. Happy New Years to everyone.

2010 (Average Mint Sales Price of $280)
    Hot Springs (NP1) $250 27,000
    Yellowstone (NP2) $270 27,000
    Yosemite (NP3) $270 27,000
    Grand Canyon (NP4) $250 26,019
    Mount Hood (NP5) $250 26,928
    2011 (Average Mint Sales Price of $215)
    Gettysburg (NP6) $235 24,625
    Glacier (NP7) $235 20,856
    Olympic (NP8) $220 18,398
    Vicksburg (NP9) $240 18,594
    Chickasaw (NP10) $230 16,827
    2012 (Average Mint Sales Price of $215)
    El Yungue (NQ0) $300 17,314
    Chaco Culture (NQ1) $210 17,146
    Acadia (NQ2) $400 14,978
    Hawaii (NQ3) $650 14,863
    Denali (NQ4) $285 15,225
    2013 (Average Mint Sales Price of $155)
    White Mountains (NQ5) $240 20, 530
    Perry's Victory (NQ6) $200 17,707
    Great Basin (NQ7) $200 17,792
    Fort McHenry (NQ8) $200 19,802
    Mount Rushmore (NQ9) $190, 23,540

20. statequarterguy

Or at these low mintages, the flippers no longer have any to flip. As for the mintages, I wouldn’t rely on any of them until the mint releases audited figures. Coin World claims there are 3 or 4 with lower mintages than Hawaii and they have also published audited numbers for 2010 showing lower sales for all 5, which makes since because no way there were no returns of damaged coins so that the first 3 sold exactly the maximum mintage of 27,000.

21. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

You may be right about the 2010 mintage numbers, but coinupdate reported the same sold out values for several months in late 2011 and early 2012 as the reported numbers in my table above. After a sell out, they usually will show some changes (usually negative) for awhile until in finally stabilizes at certain sales volume, which is usually close to the final mintage. I'm sure that the audited mintage will be different but not a lot different. I'm skeptical of the claim that 3 or 4 pucks have lowered mintages than the Hawaii puck but I'll be glad if that is the case since I own them all. Here is the last sales update from coinupdate.com with the 2010 pucks on it.

http://news.coinupdate.com/us-mint-sales-chickasaw-five-ounce-silver-coins-debut-1219/

Draft saved Draft deleted