Puck "Cents"

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Phil Ham, May 11, 2013.

1. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I guess that the Hawaii puck could go the way of the 99 silver proof set but I'm thinking not. It is a much better product from the mint with a relatively low mintage.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

Condition is the key factor in the older commemoratives, I've found just about every kind of half dollar over the last 150 years in junk piles. 99% of pucks will always be MS 63 or higher.

Troodon likes this.
  4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Well yeah, condition is a factor, not thee key factor with classic commems - they are valuable because they are all low mintage compared to circulating coins. Sounds like you’re caught up in the high grade hype. Low mintage always has been and always will be king. There are plenty of low mintage coins in lower grades that are valuable because they are rare or tough to find in any grade. Once low mintage is established, premiums for higher grades are the norm – take a look at historical price sheets if you’re blinded by TPG’er hype. Now, what you’re likely to find in junk bins in the future are high mintage, high grade certified coins – the ones the TPG’ers are making a fortune grading, because they’re plentiful.

5. statequarterguy

Rushmore is officially sold out.

6. Mr Roots

What classics are you talking about...?....I only buy old US silver. I have the 2014 Red Book are they gold coins you're talking about..?

I'm far from caught up on TPG hype, I own three silver graded coins all bought under melt and 11 graded gold coins that I didn't pay more than 1.2x melt....I wouldn't call TPG'ing hype because they will forever be a part of the hobby.

7. statequarterguy

The TPG'ers created the market for high grade common coins. Yeah, they will forever be part of the hobby, but you'll find them in the junk bins. On the other hand, when the low mintage pucks settle into collections, you'll be lucky to see them for sale in any grade.

8. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

There is something going on with the pucks. They are now selling out quite quickly in 2013.

9. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

I think the $155 price tag has lots to do with it.

10. afox

afox sometime collector

Wow! Just in under the wire. Ordered Sunday and it is currently "In stock and reserved"! WHEW!

11. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy,

Great discussion. Thanks for sharing the information. I'm just recently starting to get into pucks and am still trying to make some sense of the market. I believe the Collector Base is very important as mentioned by yakpoo. Treehugger mentioned that he'll buy if he likes the design but not otherwise. How about the folks that have some sort of connection with the park or whatever. For example, how many Hawaiians bought one or more to give to their grandkids? How many folks bought a Mt. Rushmore because they've been there? I just bought a 2013 Acadia Denali (built local) and will have to buy a Denali puck. This all represents some portion of demand although I have no clue how much. A way to play this would be to buy extra those which might have such a demand element. This coming year has Great Smoky Mtns, Shenandoah, Arches, Great Sand Dunes and Everglades. Of these, I would guess the only two that might fit the bill would be the Smokys and the Everglades. But who knows.

As for the series, I'll just have to suck it up with some of the older more popular issues and going forward subscribe like I do with the other basic issues.

peace,

rono

12. statequarterguy

Maybe collectors are starting to realize what a great deal they are. 5 oz of silver at one of the lowest premiums the mint charges for a super low mintage coin = nothing but potential. And, as a bonus, they don't call them America the Beautiful coins for nothing!

But then, if silver remains in the range it is, maybe it's time for another price reduction.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    definer likes this.
  13. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

I see these as bullion and nothing more. With the mintages seen so far, I think you would agree that the collector base is not exactly there unless the price is right. There may be a couple winners down the road but I don't think stocking up at 50% premium is an overall winning strategy.

Mr Roots likes this.
  14. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Who even cares about winners, the pucks are the coolest thing out of the mint in a long time. Oh sorry, IMHO.

15. statequarterguy

The collector base is there off and on, depending how bad the mint screws things up. Most of the 2010 issues sold out in a week, then the mint failed to lower prices when silver tanked, so collectors ran. Even though I'd say we're due for a reduction to say, $125 each, the extra $30 is okay with me, as long as it keeps sales down - just more appreciation potential if/when the series takes off.

Ever hear of bottom feeding? Some of us do okay buying out of favor, so low mintge coins. Thes pucks offer little down side risk and decent up side - if not, they'll look great in my collection. They're the kind of coins in your collection you'd hate to see go, but the profit could be just too good to pass up.

16. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

I agree with you completely. I am not very good at the prediction game. I only purchase the pucks I like, regardless of any future appreciation potential. So, those I own are all "winners" to me. However, if you are looking for future value, ask me which pucks I own and then purchase those I don't. That should increase your chances of making money on them.

17. Mr Roots

How do you know the people buying are collectors and not speculators or dumb bullion buyers..?

Troodon likes this.
  18. statequarterguy

I've tried that before, buying just the ones I like, but then went back and bought them all. Maybe I'm just too much of a CA (coin addict). So now, if I like a series, I just commit from the beginning, rather than go back and maybe pay more. Then, maybe you’d pay less, but my luck is like yours, I’d pay more.

19. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

MrRoots, I don't think the folks that buy these pucks give a rip about what you think. People like you that bash what others collect are a dime a dozen and really boring.

jwitten likes this.
  20. Mr Roots

How am I bashing..?...I've made it clear that I've paid premiums for silver that I like, just like all of you are doing. Using the word "laughable" was the only thing I've said in this thread that could be considered uncivil. How do you know I'm not sitting on a few 10 coin tubes of these? I have every right to my opinion that these coins won't have numismatic value 10 years from now, I also have every right to give my reasons why I feel this way.....When you feel our "debate" has ran it's course you can simply stop replying to me or say something along the lines of "we'll just have to agree to disagree". Is this forum just to pat people on their backs and stroke egos are is it to learn and debate points of view on bullion?

Troodon likes this.
  21. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

Basically your line "dumb bullion buyers".

Draft saved Draft deleted