Presentation No 8 The Security Engravers Group

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by urbanchemist, Dec 6, 2009.

1. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

since i am from the US I thought it would be neat to talk about a great artist to the north in Canada. I chose Yves Baril

Yves Baril was born in Montreal on May 20 1932(one day after mine :) )
    From the ages of 10 to 13 he attended watercolor classes at the Montreal library. Mr. Baril spent 2 years in oil painting classes under Albert Delorimier at l'Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Montreal. Following his high school years Ecole Superieure Saint-Stanislas. Baril graduated from the School of graphic Art in Montreal where he studied under Albert Dumouchel and Arthur Gladu. He also devoted 2 years to figure drawing with Gerald Trottier. Baril began his apprenticeship under Silas R Allen at the Canadian Bank Note Company in January 1953. Although 8-10 years of apprenticeship is typical, Baril engraved his first stamp in 1955. The Canadian Postal Authority was not entirely satisfied with an engraving by Silas R. Allen, Baril's teacher. The young Baril challenged himself by attempting to engrave Lawrence Hyde's design that would commemorate the creation of the province of Alberta and Saskatchewan, the same one Mr Allen had done. The design by the 2 year apprentice was submitted and accepted. This created tension between master and student. In 1957 Silias R. Allen was involved in a tragic automobile accident, Baril was on his on with no guidance. He furthered his studies under William Ford, Warrell Hauck and Leo Kauffmann and ABNCo and Alan Dow and Ron Beckers at BW in London. In September 1963 Baril became the foreman of the Picture Engraving Department at CBNC. He has engraved bank notes, stock certificates, traveler's checks, passports and over 200 postage stamps. It was Baril who re engraved the hair of Queen Elizabeth II to delete the devil's hair on the 1954 currency for Canada. He also engraved bank notes for the Bahamas, Cape Verde, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Estonia, Ghana, Guatemala, Lesotho, Mexico, Nicaragua, Slovakia and the Ukraine

Original 1954 design with devil hair
    [​IMG]

1954 Canadian bank note with no devil hair by Yves Baril
    [​IMG]

A few stamps engraved by Yves Baril
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bank notes engraved by Baril
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

REFERENCES:
    THE INTERNATIONAL ENGRAVER'S LINE BY GENE HESSLER

4. connor1

connor1 Collector

Beautiful artistic colorful banknotes,you can see the oil painters influence on Yves Baril's engravings later in his engravings on the Bahamas and Dominican Bank note.
    The Queens devil hair I knew was re-engraved but wasn't aware it was Baril's talented engraving that did it. Great presentation. This is a new area of interest for me since I mostly collect US currency.

5. north49guy

north49guy Show me the Money

Great presentation and some beautiful notes there! That Bahamas is very vibrant! Nice to hear about a fellow Canadian hehe.

6. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Nice Job Urban... did'nt this guy get in trouble by the Queen since she thought he did this out of spite??

RickieB

7. Art

Art Numismatist?

Nice presentation. Now I have to add that 2 cedis to my collection.

8. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

He fixed the hair, is he the one that also engraved the original hair?

Great presentation!!! :thumb: Love some of those notes esp. the one from the Bahamas!

9. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I have one with and one with out the devil hair. Nice program. :)-O)

10. connor1

connor1 Collector

I think she had an Irish Hair dresser !

11. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

WOW!!! Urbanchemist did a great job on this presentation.. what a group, what an education!!
    All we are missing is you!! Join us, won't you?

RickieB

Draft saved Draft deleted