Post your under-appreciated big heads here!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by tbudwiser, Oct 9, 2011.

1. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

IMO, the big heads go the most un-noticed under-appreciated type of US currency out there (modern). Soooo, I thought it would be good to start a thread for people to post their big heads collectibles. Here are my circ finds. These are only my circ finds because these are what I feel most proud of rather than ones I have purchased for above face value. But still, go ahead and feel free to post whatver it is you may have. In case you didn't know, heres whats classified as a "big head". $5's: Series 1999 to 2006 (non-. $10's: Series 1999 to 2003. $20's: Series 1996 to 2001. $50's: Series 1996 to 2001. $100's: Series 1996 to 2006A. For myself, I am excluding $100's from the picture below. But I do have some 1996, 1999, 2003, and 2006 $100 stars.

Well, here are mine:
    IMG_1663.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

[​IMG]

Big head Franklin.....one tough star to find.

4. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Wow Steve, nice note! Only 160 k run! What does it grade?

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

[​IMG]

If I could find a nicer one, I would buy it. This is the only one I've seen come up for sale within the last 2 years.

6. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Wow:eek: . Steve, do you have all your US paper currency graded? Do you happen to get good deals? Maybe you can PM me... I was interested in getting some of my nicer notes graded, but its just so darn expensive... Also, once you get a bill graded, can you ever get it out w/o damaging the PCGS sleeve? I've never seen one and I have no clue how they work... Another thing I'm worried about is storage. The way I have my bills stored now, I don't think that the PCGS Currency sleeves would fit. Finally, some people won't buy PCGS from you (or so I've heard) because of similar things I just said. What do you think about it all?

7. RJK3

RJK3 New Member

Here's my shot. I have 3 consecutive of these.
    five.jpg

8. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

I have one example of sed note, but I purchased mine. Similar serial # area too. Did you purchase yours or were they circ finds?

9. RJK3

RJK3 New Member

Purchased. I have several big head $5 stars from circulation but this is my nicest example.

10. ronterry

ronterry New Member

Here's a couple of my Big-Head favorites from my collection.

[​IMG]

11. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

12. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Here's a big head. :)

Lincoln_5Dollar_2006_Portrait.jpg

13. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Hey paper collectors, what is "Big head" mean in this case?

14. brg5658

Read the original post. It is defined there.

15. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Ok, so this is what the OP said:
    "heres whats classified as a "big head". $5's: Series 1999 to 2006 (non-. $10's: Series 1999 to 2003. $20's: Series 1996 to 2001. $50's: Series 1996 to 2001. $100's: Series 1996 to 2006A. For myself, I am excluding $100's from the picture below. But I do have some 1996, 1999, 2003, and 2006 $100 stars"

So what defines it as a "big head" ? Just the series and date? Nothing different about it then a different series? Nothing to do with the actual head?

16. brg5658

The heads on the front of the bills are much larger than the previous series. Maybe you don't remember the previous paper money?

BIG Head
    252_5NCD.jpg

Small Head
    255_5_face_2.jpg

17. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Ahhhh. thank you!

18. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Here are my favorites:

scan0040.jpg

19. ronterry

ronterry New Member

I always defined the "Big Head" as being the years limited above. The newer non-framed/porthole versions I thought we agreed as being "Colorized"?

20. ronterry

ronterry New Member

My newest addition... Literally just received it in the mail...

[​IMG]

21. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Nice NY'er. I have a Richmond 4 digit serial #, but I purchased it. It is a "BEP Promotion".

Draft saved Draft deleted