Post Your Old Copper

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JCB1983, Feb 22, 2012.

1. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Not sure I posted this one before - you can see the partial rim clip on the reverse:

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

Thanks for the compliments, beef1020 and Eduard.

4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Nice 1796 DBC, mark. Fairly smooth surfaces, unusual enough in a 1796. S-108?

5. mark_h

Yep - S-108 from a Shawn Yancey auction.

6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Forgot I also have 2 large cent
    1845 LG cent Raw obv.jpg 1845 LG cent Raw rev.jpg
    1845 a close view of Obv
    maybe a conunter mark
    +
    also maybe PMD that some one want keep as?:kewl:

7. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

Can someone offer up some hints for taking pictures of these coins. I've tried everything I can think of and can't get the detail to ever really show up. I have a few I'd like to post but my photos make them look like brown circular objects.

Thanks in advance

Here is one that I thought was an 1805. Bought this at a little thrift shop for 15 bucks - it said 1805 and looked to have been underground but I figured I was ok with it for the price - 200 years old afterall.

Just went to take the photos after taking it out of the 2x2 and see that it looks like an 1803 to me - no clue how to get to the variety in this condition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

How about an overdate?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

J.A.K. and geekpryde like this.
  9. mark_h

Love the overdates.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. robec

robec Junior Member

11. mark_h

Copper is tough and I am no expert at it myself. I do know the right lights make a big difference - I now have OTT lights. I still take different pictures with different color backgrounds to see which one looks the closest to the coin. Sometimes I might take 10 to 20 pictures of a copper coin. I then use photoscape on those pictures. There are multiple threads on this site about taking pictures - the right lights and a good tripod do make a difference.

On this photo of yours I just cropped it and darkened the glare a little. Then my OCD made me straighten the date to how I like to see a coin. Search on photoscape it is available for free.

Attached Files:

12. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of OTT lights. I have some, and have experimented with them. But the results, for me, have been washed out and flat. Same for CFL's.

I think there are certain applications where they work well. Corner cases.

Halogen gives me more consistent results, particularly for copper and gold and toned silver.

Highly reflective coins...lustrous and proofs, like diffused lights. They are still the most challenging.

Here are a couple of '31's, to stay on topic.
    Lance.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

J.A.K. and geekpryde like this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Definitely an 1803 I'm thinking S-258 the spacing of the 03 doesn't look quite right though.

14. LionelR

LionelR Supporter! Supporter

Very nice 1831 cents, as always, Ikeigwin!
    -L

15. CopperJacket

CopperJacket New Member

16. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here my (oft) posted 1794 variety S-24, and my 1804 large cent:

Attached Files:

17. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Lovely apple cheeks you have there Eduard!!! I wish all my 1794s had those kind of surfaces :)

18. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, Beef1010.
    Believe me, most of my other 1794s don't look like this!

19. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

+1 It's not everyday you see these with out the porosity and damage galore. Very nice honest wear on that specimen!

20. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

Wow - you guys have some great coins and take great photos too boot. I picked these coins up about a year ago for 8 bucks each so I figured I couldnt go wrong. I know nothing about large cents but I think they're great and love having them. I don't know anything about them to spend any decent money but always have my eyes open. I know my pictures suck for this thread and these coins have been handled through the years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1845 that someone tried to make an 1815 it looks like - not sure why though

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking at these for the first time outside of the 2x2s, they appear to need some help with corrosion

21. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

Forgot these 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1802 - bad photos and somehow forgot the reverse

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What would be best to try and help these coins out or should I just leave them as is? I don't want them to get worse if I can soak them in something to stop it.

Draft saved Draft deleted