Post Your Old Copper

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by JCB1983, Feb 22, 2012.

1. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Here's a tough '21 I bought recently. A little porosity but, well, it come with the territory.
    Lance.

[​IMG][​IMG]

larssten likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robec

robec Junior Member

This has seen better days and a lot of history.

[​IMG]

4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Nice coin, and as you say, not common in that condition. Congratulations.
    The date itself does not appear scarce as they do come up - I have 3, but in condition ranging from 'bad' to 'awful' - but maybe one day I will get one like yours.

5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here is a middle date 1823/2. The picture is quite poor (sorry). The coin is better in-hand.

If anybody can attribute the Massachusetts Indian cent, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Eduard

Attached Files:

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Bought this one when I was just a young kid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

9. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not a prime example but it was cheap and a nice heavy chunk of copper.

10. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

A lot of oooos and ahhhs comming from this end.

11. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

1809HalfCent.jpg bought this one awhile back already share it on the newest acquisitions but figured id post it here as well

12. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

13. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

DSC03455.jpg DSC03458.jpg DSC03449.jpg DSC03452.jpg

I like these patriotic tokens too. Another infinite collecting opportunity loaded with history. In mint state they can tone up pretty nice.
    Matt

14. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

Bought for 2 bucks last year....

IH.jpg IH2.jpg

15. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Just got around to taking pictures of this old copper. I spotted it on the end of an "unsearched" roll, and knew what it was. It's an 1882, Snow 2 attribution, Broken 2. Caused by breakage/wear of the die - several have been found, but it's a fairly rare attribution.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got a couple mercs in the roll, as well as a couple indians that were a better grade than what I had - a nice surprise since all I really wanted was the S-2.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

18. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I looked very long for a Vermont Landscape copper, until I found this one that I liked: Ryder-8 variety, Vermontensium.

Attached Files:

19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Interesting. Not knowing much about IHCs, is this considered as scarce/rare as the 1887/7 variety? or the 1873 double liberty?

20. mackwork

According to the Richard Snow attributions book, the 1882 (S1) is more rare than the 1887/7 (S-10), and is equally as rare as the 1873 doubled liberty (S-2). There are, however, 1873, S1a and S1b doubled liberty types, that are much rarer than any of the above. But, I think no one really knows how many of these different varieties/attributions were minted, and some, like the doubled liberty, can only be seen in coins with little or no wear.

I really like searching for and collecting these IHC overdates and varieties, and have several of them now.

21. mackwork

It looks like an overdate on the 1 of 1786?

Draft saved Draft deleted