Post your nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zach67005, Feb 15, 2012.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

How do they differentiate between the "early" nickel '42s and the "late" silver '42s on the slabs?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I was looking through the pre-1960 nickels that I have collected over the years and found a couple of key dates: 1951-S and 1955-P. I had no idea they were in there. I might have gotten them last week or I might have gotten them 25 years ago.

4. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

There are no 42 D silver nickels, so it doesn't need any designation. The 42 S were all silver, so no special designation. The 42 P is the only one that was both silver and nonsilver. They designate the nonsilver as Type 1 and silver as Type 2.

gbroke and bugo like this.
  5. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Thanks!

6. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Here is a new one, I just got yesterday. It has a lot of color and is full of luster.

I bought it from Coin Dexter, a member here on CT. He is one great guy to deal with :)

1913 toned.jpg

MKent, rev1774, torontokuba and 7 others like this.
  7. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Why weren't there any 1942-D (and 1942-S) cupronickel nickels? Did the mint know that they would be switching to the war composition before the first 1942-P cupro nickel was minted so they didn't bother making any in those two mints?

dwhiz likes this.
  8. robec

robec Junior Member

9. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

Nothing special really. Just thought they were cool. Haha all of these were from one box. I've heard of the black beauty which might be the first one.. Two Indians and war heads and some au58-65 image.jpg image.jpg

10. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I love this one!

1943 P FIVE-CENT PIECE - JEFFERSON PCGS MS 64 1943-2, CAC Obv Slab.JPG

1943 P FIVE-CENT PIECE - JEFFERSON PCGS MS 64 1943-2, CAC Rev Slab.JPG

gronnh20, MKent, torontokuba and 6 others like this.
  11. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

A customer came in the store yesterday and threw a bunch of change on the counter. He pushed some quarters towards me but I saw the large S on the reverse of this nickel and helpfully said "I can take the nickels off your hands instead" and he agreed. It's the nicest war nickel that I've found in circulation so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

What is a "black beauty"?

13. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

There are Jefferson nickels from 1959 that are called "black beauties" due to improper annealing.
    upload_2014-6-27_18-48-47.jpeg

14. Traz

Traz Card counter

Some stuff I got regarded... a bunch of upgrades. A couple shield nickels are varieties I buy for the hell of it once in a while.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

gronnh20, MKent, torontokuba and 7 others like this.
  15. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Beauties as always Traz. What did the war nickel grade?

16. Traz

Traz Card counter

MS67FS... thought it'd be a plus but nopers...

17. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Looks plus worthy for sure. Extremely clean.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

18. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Some lovely nickels Traz!

19. Agilmore01

Posted this on the toned thread also, but just in case it was missed...Bought this last night. Probably not MS, but looks good.[​IMG][​IMG]

torontokuba, Morgandude11 and gbroke like this.
  20. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

It is MS and I let you have one of those nickels lol.

21. Agilmore01

I was bidding on a whole slew of toned nickels from Macvanderstein last night and kept losing all of them. I was determined to win ONE, so I bid higher on this one. It's hard to tell by pics if toners are MS until you get them in hand.

MKent likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted