Post Your Most Prized Coin!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TypicalCreepahx, Dec 30, 2013.

1. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

What coin do you prize the most in your collection..? Either collectors value or sentimental value. Post em all ! ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

image.jpg image.jpg My favorite so far has both sentimental and is my best coin so far as the older gentleman who was the biggest influence on me as a 8-10 year old collector his prized coin was his flowing hair 1795 dollar I never forgot it and always wanted one

Jason Hoffpauir, gbroke, TIF and 10 others like this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I think that I like this one the most, an 1852 NGC PR-65 half cent.
    downloadfile-11.jpeg
    Though i would say that my most sentimental coin is a common XF Mercury dime that i got in the blackbeans on new years day at my grandmothers house when i was about five. It is the bug that bit me and started me on a lifetime of collecting. Though my Mercury set is AU or better, that lovely 1943 will stay in my dansco forever.

gbroke, vlaha, x115 and 7 others like this.
  6. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I trust you'll pardon the ramblings of an "old man" who although has tens of thousands "children", enjoys virtually every one as an "only child", realizing that he must allow that child to eventually enjoy the admiration a new benefactor/parent. It is difficult to place a greater value on any Numismatic "child", admiring each one for its' different "features", replacing the departed with new beloved "foster" coins.
    Today my adopted choice was an incuse Gold Indian slabbed as "cleaned - AU details", which I thought "you poor child are truly a treasure", as the previous parent hadn't known how to properly remove the natural accumulations of "dirt" on this type of creature. Much "dirt" had been gently removed without any harm to the skin, leaving signs of a partial "cleaning" to a GEM, which I felt deserved a proper bath, and a new appreciation.
    OH!!, I'm sorry, as all of our children should be viewed with equal collector appreciation for the individual personalities that enamored us to adopt them.
    Thanks for allowing my rambling opinions of choosing a most desirable Numismatic "child".
    Rich

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I do not have many high-value coins in my collection. Just about everything has a value of $200 or under. My favorites? Well, that's tough. I like different coins for different reasons.
    My favorite as of late, and I'm sure people have realized by the absurd number of times I have said it, is my 1783 Constellatio Nova, Crosby 1A (rarity of R4), graded G06 by PCGS. This was a coin that had been on my want list for at least half a year. I had seen only a few examples pop up on ebay every now and then, all at a high price, so I knew it was a long shot for me to own one in the near future.

Fast forward to a few months ago and I am browsing some colonial coins on ebay. I start to search "Nova Constellatio", expecting to see the normal, high-priced coins that were listed there for months. Instead, I make a typo and search "Nova Constellio". I didn't expect to see anything, but to my surprise there was a single coin, listed as "1787 Nova Constellio" being listed by a seller in the UK. It has a few bids, and is within my price range. Excited, I throw my bid in. Well, it isn't long before I get into a bidding war with someone, instantly driving up the price. Finally, it gets to a point where the person has outbid me by too much and I couldn't afford to make another bid. Dejected, I give up on the auction. I check back the next day to see that the person I was bidding against won the auction. "Oh well," I thought.
    About a week later I get a message from the seller of the "Nova Constellio". He tells me that the winning bidder has not paid and is offering me a second chance with free shipping. (Shipping would otherwise cost $10+) I immediately say yes, and the rest is history. The thing isn't in the highest grade, but it has a great story behind it and I'm really happy to have it in my collection. :)

nova constellatio obv:rev.png

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  8. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

I have two that will most likely not see the free market in my lifetime. Each are prized for different reasons.

Being and Indian Head Cent collector, the obvious 1877 Indian Head Cent.
    desktop.jpg 6307-17111-thickbox.jpg

And this one was from my great-grandfathers collection. Although I never met him, I could tell he had great taste! I sent it off to NGC for kicks, and it came back VF details, reverse scratched.

1854o3.jpg

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

536300_345175315603073_1538507046_n.jpg I hope you will allow world coins. This Belgium coin is my favorite coin, The fun part is...I have 2-4 for others that are 2-4 times more in value/price wise.

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I forgot to say that it is slabbed PCGS MS-64 RB.

11. CoinHawkeye

CoinHawkeye Well-Known Member

1856(2) obv_opt.jpg 1856(2) rev_opt.jpg
    My other coin is a 1922 peace dollar that my great uncle carried with him throughout WWII

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

wow. i am still drooling over this coin. and it's a 1856 too wow.

13. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

Wow! All nice coins so far and I love the stories, keep em comin!

14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Actually had someone make a fair offer on mine through the aucction site I got it at I said sorry not for sale :) one of only a couple coins I wouldn't sell if the right offer came along id trade it for the previous year in a heartbeat tho!!

15. For just starting out as a collector (and on a low budget if I do say so myself) my favorite coin probably winds up being a 1923-s wheat cent.

16. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

still this one at the moment. Would love to trade it for some nice large cents that would be of equal value.[​IMG] [​IMG]

gbroke, vlaha, x115 and 5 others like this.
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

CALABRIA, Tarentum, AR Nomos
    Circa 315-302 BC
    Diameter: 20 mm
    Weight: 7.98 grams
    Obverse: Warrior, preparing to cast spear, holding two others and shield, on horse rearing right
    Reverse: Phalanthos, holding kantharos and trident, astride dolphin left

Calabria Tarentum a.jpg Calabria Tarentum b.jpg

=> 2,300 years old and still lookin' fine!!

gbroke, fred13, spirityoda and 7 others like this.
  18. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

This one is mine. The error type is relatively uncommon for this series, but this particular coin is most likely unique, coming from a proof-like set.

1d_1968_PCGS_PL-67_offcentre.jpg

gbroke, BadThad, vlaha and 9 others like this.
  19. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

1921 Peace Dollar Retro NGC-tile.jpg This one got me started collecting peace dollars, it was in a regular NGC slab when I purchased it

x115 and Effigy303 like this.
  20. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

You simply don't see them like this. DSCF3215.jpg DSCF3216.jpg

21. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Wow man! What a beauty.

Draft saved Draft deleted