Post Your Franklins!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jcakcoin, Mar 14, 2012.

1. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

This is the rest...

$_57-1.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    $_573-1.JPG
    $_573.JPG

Skyman, geekpryde, dwhiz and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

@tk: Nice blue/golden toning on the '56 above!

jello and torontokuba like this.
  4. Gimme_More_Coins

Gimme_More_Coins Active Member

5. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

A pair I just got back from NGC today.

100_5102.jpg 100_5103.jpg

Skyman, Paul_62, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  6. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

I meant to put this one up here the other day when I got it. My 1952-S

1952-S_sidexside.jpg

Then I got this one today as an upgrade... 1963_sidexside.jpg

Skyman, torontokuba, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  7. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Can't recall if I have posted this already... couldn't find it in this thread:
    1963 PCGS MS65 FBL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Skyman, MKent, torontokuba and 4 others like this.
  9. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I have a question: How is this coin considered "mint state" with all the discoloration? Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely coin and I'd be proud to own it, but it obviously doesn't look like it did when it came to a mint. Why is discoloration considered OK but the tiniest bit of wear considered bad? I only own two slabbed coins, a NGC 1958 PF-67 nickel and an ICG 1960 MS-65 large date penny, and both look like they just left the mint. Toning is cool and can make coins look neat, but I don't see why it isn't considered a demerit when it comes to the condition of the coin.

I don't know much about grading so I hope somebody can enlighten me. I want to be educated.

10. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I want to preface my response with: I do not collect toned coins. I too have only 3 slabbed coins and I prefer most of mine raw. However, I think when grading this particular coin they were looking for luster and if it is broken, wear pattern, strike/contact marks, among other things. Overall the coin has beautiful luster and the strike is certainly above average and even received FBL. The toning is natural and overall the coin has clean fields and very few marks, hence the MS 65 grade. I may be wrong, so correct me if I am, but I think you are using tone or "discoloration" as an indication of grade and that is not necessarily the case for all coin series.

micbraun likes this.
  11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

12. dwhiz

Franklin Half Dollars page 1.jpg Franklin Half Dollars page 1.jpg [ Franklin Half Dollars page 1a.jpg Franklin Half Dollars page2.jpg Franklin Half dollars page 2a.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  13. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

dwhiz, now you are just showing off. ;)

torontokuba and dwhiz like this.
  14. dwhiz

"If you got it...Flaunt it" I heard this in the movie "The Producers" great flick

15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Mint state does not mean that the coin looks exactly like it did the day it was minted. The qualification for mint state is that the coin can't have any physical wear. As for your slabbed coins, they may look like, but are not exactly like they were when they left the mint. The toning process begins as soon as the coin is minted. You might not be able to discern the toning with your eyes, but the doesn't mean the toning layer is not there.

The system of grading used by the TPG's is called market grading which has four different elements: surface preservation, strike, luster, and eye appeal. Toning has the ability to enhance or detract from they eye appeal of a coin. When you see a coin with mottled charcoal/russet toning that mutes the luster of the coin, it will often lead to a lower overall grade despite the surfaces or strike. If that same coin displayed vibrant rainbow toning, it is possible that the coin could be graded several points higher.

Your basic mindset right now mirrors Weimar White's who believes that all toning is "chemical wear" and should be treated the same as physical wear thereby lowering the grade. White goes so far as to declare acid dips as the cure for toning claiming that the dip only removes the sulfide layer (chemical wear) from the surface of the coin. My advice is to abandon this line of thought and seek to understand better the system of market grading that is widely accepted in the numismatic community.

The simplest answer to your question is that eye appeal is an element of coin grading.

MKent, torontokuba and jello like this.
  16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Couldn't have explained it better than dimeguy and Lehigh :)

17. McBlzr

After seeing dwhiz's Dansco set, I got mine out of the vault to look at it again. It is a mixed set of circulated, Unc, & 4 Proofs. I need a 1959 Proof for my NGC registry set, so I may send in this one that is in my Dansco. Then get an UNC for the Dansco.

100_5176.jpg
    100_5178.jpg

Skyman, MKent, Paul_62 and 3 others like this.
  18. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

19. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

20. McBlzr

Last Thurs & Friday I saw some Franklin Halfs on eBay. The group of 5 pic was a little blurry and just listed as " High Grade " . I thought they looked better than UNC. I watched the last 5 minutes of the auction. NO body was bidding. In the last 5 seconds, I placed my bid, and WON with NO other bidders. Five "Proof" Franklins came in yesterdays mail. $10 each with $7.02 (each) silver value per CoinFlation.

On Friday, I won a 1956 Type2 & a 1959 (Proofs).
    The scratch on the 1956 pic is on the plastic holder not the coin.

100_5213.jpg 100_5214.jpg 100_5215.jpg 100_5216.jpg 100_5231.jpg 100_5235.jpg 100_5213.jpg 100_5214.jpg 100_5215.jpg 100_5216.jpg 100_5231.jpg 100_5235.jpg

Skyman, Effigy303, Paul_62 and 2 others like this.
  21. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Draft saved Draft deleted