Post your colorized coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by wcoins, Jan 29, 2014.

?

Which if the two would you buy if offered at same price?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2014.
  1. Regular Silver Eagle

78.6%
  2. Already have regular Silver Eagle, I'll take the colorized one!

21.4%
  1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Post here any colorized coins you may have, US or foreign. dd.jpg dd2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

that looks poorly done

4. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

It's quite old, it wasn't made recently. It's far from perfect but I still like it a lot :D

5. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Looks like an art project from 3rd grade art class.

6. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Visit Kids' Corner...

2004PoppyCoin.jpg

A spy coin?

Take a look in your wallet. You may find a coloured Poppy coin from 2004. If so, you're holding a piece of history because it is the first coloured circulation coin in the world!

It took a while for people to get used to it. In fact, it was mistaken as a spy coin. When American defence contractors first saw the poppy coin in 2007, they examined the coin's security features and incorrectly concluded that the protective coating was being used to hide a surveillance device!

http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/learn/kids-corner-1000008

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I like your coin, the green fields are very attractive. With regards to ASEs, they are bullion coins and I don't really think that colorizing hurts their value at all. In fact, I have owned some that were actually pretty attractive.

[​IMG]

treylxapi47 likes this.
  8. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Any chance I ever had for liking colorized coins was forever ruined. The first one I ever saw was this one.
    [​IMG]
    Having watched the Drew Cary show a lot my mind immediately associated the Morgan with this.
    [​IMG]

:eek:
    Ruined.

JPeace$ and tmoneyeagles like this.
  9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Don't worry, if anyone collects the Australian Lunar coins, they will quickly restore your ability to appreciate colorized coins. I love the dragon coins from 2012.

10. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Reminds me more of Nikki, but I can see why Mimi would be more scarring.

Impressive. How much do those run?

11. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

So true, look at this one, how not to like it? $_57 (2).JPG

BadThad likes this.
  12. mas4492

mas4492 Junior Member

13. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I typically do not like colorized coins; however, I did buy one of the Australian Year of the Snake Coin, with the snake colored blue. I like it and in my book, it's a keeper. I didn't buy it as an investment. Call it a trial on purchasing a colorized coin and this one passed my test.

I also signed up for the Great Lakes Collection from the Royal Canadian Mint. I received the Lake Superior Coin. It's very cool. There are different hues of blue for the different depths in the lake. It's another coin that I just want to own and don't care about any numismatic value.

Wcoin, if you like the coloring in the coin you posted, that's really all that matters.

Mas, that is a very cool AT ASE!

14. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Yup, like the coloring, I'd always prefer a colorized coin made many years ago by a 3rd grader than a fake toning coin made yesterday by a "coin doctor".

I am not a big fan of colorozied coins overall, as this damages the coin, but with bullion coins I think it makes them more interesting. It doesn't hurt to have one in the collection, among the regular ones.

15. EdGs

EdGs Member

My only colorized coin, sorry for the crappy pic
    IMG_20140201_135009.jpg

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I only own one.

Attached Files:

17. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted