Post your best World & Ancients from ANA-LA

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I know that some of our world & ancient members were at the ANA last week in LA. Please post photos of what you found there!

I found this Costa Rica coin in LA. It is from 1848 when Costa Rica was counter-stamping coins to circulate in their country. I understand that most of the coins they counterstamped were their own coins from when they were part of the Republic of Central America. They would typically counter stamp a Central America 2-Real coin with their own Costa Rica 2-Real counterstamp. It is supposed to be less common to find coins from other nations with Costa Rica counterstamps. I'm told that this 2-Real is stamped on a Lima Peru Cob. This is the first nice one I have found so I really don't know what is common & rare to find. This one was fun to find.

I'll post some of my other new purchases in the error coin forum.

Very best regards,
    collect89

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I also bought a couple more Central American Republic coins.:smile

The 1830TF from the Honduras mint is a 1 Real coin.
    The 1831TF from the Honduras mint is a 2 Real coin.

Please tell us what you found in LA.

Very best regards,
    collect89

Attached Files:

4. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Great design and great coins 89 :high5:

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Nice stuff guys. :eek:)

6. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

That is a great CR counterstamp, collect89. In fact, I'm almost sure I looked at it and considered buying. Can't remember which dealer had it, though.

I bought a few Mexican 8 reales, cap and rays type. The one pictured is from the Culiacan Mint, assayer C.E. (Clemente Espinosa de los Monteros). Many of the 8 reales from this particular year and mint were sent to the Orient, but this one appears to have escaped the journey or it would now be chopmarked. No major varieties are noted for this coin, but this particular specimen has some great repunching, for example on the E of C.E., and on the 's' of the fineness (10 D and 20 G), where it looks almost like a large S was punched over a small s. Also nice die crack through date.

[​IMG]

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, I don't have any ancient as of yet but I do have a few silver coins from Mexico. These are a couple of my favorites. Oh I got a little carried away and included a love token made off of a un peso coin =Virgin Mary. :hail:

Attached Files:

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Some wonderful looking coins you have there guy's :high5:

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Added this Greenland 50 Ore to my collection.

I found 50 Ore coin in the budget area of the show. I asked most of the world coin dealers if they had anything from Greenland & this guy said YES.

Very best regards,
    collect89

Attached Files:

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

great Cob coins & hard-to-find books

The counterstamp was purchased from Sedwick Coins (Daniel Frank Sedwick) out of Winter Park Florida. They have a Website www.SedwickCoins.com

Also at the same booth was Alan Workman who specializes in hard to find books. Their Website is www.workmansbooks.com

Very best regards,
    collect89

11. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Then it is almost certainly the coin I looked at. I spent a fair amount of time at Sedwick's table.

12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Those are very nice coins Collect89. I particularly like the Costa Rica 2 Reales counterstamp on the Lima cob. Don't believe I have ever seen one of those. Have you been able to find out more about it?

The 1 Real Republica de Centro America is also intriguing: the strike and planchet quality appear quite crude, specially compared to the 2 Reales. Nice coins both though, beautiful design.

Did you guys see any Chilean Colonial coins at the show? They are quite difficult to find, specially the 1/2, 1 , 2 and 4 Reales of Carlos III in grades above VF.

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Try www.rubensteincoins.com

Hello Eduard,

I didn’t notice any colonial Chile coins in particular except a really high grade Chile coin at J & F Rubenstein’s booth. J & F Rubenstein is based in Greensboro NC. I made note of their telephone (336-299-7061) because they had some other items I’ll probably get suckered into buying:smile.

Very best regards,
    collect89

14. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I renewed old acquaintances at the ANA Convention/Coin show in Los Angeles this past weekend. Tom Cederlind, John Jencek, Freeman & Sear and CNG all had great ancients for sale and I took the opportunity to add to my collection:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP C DIOCLETIANVS PF AVG
    GENIO POPV -- LI ROMANI

Diocletian
    RIC VI, (Lugdunum), 14a - Pre-invasion coinage produced at unknown Continental Mint by Lugdunese workers

[​IMG][​IMG]
    CONSTANTIVS NOB C
    GENIO POPV -- LI ROMANI

Constantius
    RIC VI, (Londinium), 22 - Unmarked follis

[​IMG][​IMG]
    MAXIMIANVS NOBIL C
    GENIO POPV -- LI ROMANI

Galerius Maximian
    RIC VI, (Londinium), 33 - Unmarked follis

James

15. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Well, those coins look familiar!;)

It was great to meet you, jamesicus. I also had the pleasure of meeting ThePennyLady, Arizona Jack, and Acanthite. To me, this was worth more than any of the coins I bought that week.

16. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I realy like the Maximian wonderful looking coin, thanks for sharing :hail:

17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello Eduard,

There are some Chilean Colonial coins listed on Sedwick's current treasure auction:

http://www.sedwickcoins.com/treasureauction6/world1.htm

Very best regards,
    collect89

18. jamesicus

Likewise, Ardatirion.

James

19. jamesicus

Thanks, De Orc. Actually the coin is a Galerius

[​IMG]
    MAXIMIANVS NOBIL C

-- Galerius Maximian RIC VI, (Londinium), 33 -- (Caius Galerius Valerius Maximianus) -- The titulature is confusing in this series of folles for sure - the differentiation can be made by remembering that Maximianus (Marcus Aurelius Valerius Maximianus) was not depicted on the reformed aes coinage as Caesar.

James

Draft saved Draft deleted