post your Apollo/ outer space coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by roll searcher, Sep 7, 2012.

1. roll searcher

roll searcher coin hunter

A friend of mine gave me these cool tokens a few days ago.
    space coins.jpg I love everything to do with rockets/ outer space, so if you have a coin with something to do with the subject, then post it!

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

My Fav Apollo coin. IMAG0575.jpg

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

One of the members of another forum, aka Skyman, has a fantastic collection of Mecury, Gemini and Apollo memorabilia. There is a lot of paper money autographed by the mission members, and most of it has gone into space with them.

Chris

5. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

I love ike dollars for the very reason you stated above and will also be on the look out for such tokens in the future as i did not know of there existence.

Neil Armstrong and fellow astronauts had a hard time obtaining life insurance because of the hazards of there jobs, so before the mission they signed a ton of letters and memorabilia and horded it. The plan was in the event of them dying on the mission to the moon there wives would sell it off and thus taking place of a life insurance Policy.

Newp.jpg

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My only coin with "Apollo". After all, it is what they named the ships after.

[​IMG]

Caracalla (198 - 217 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM, Laureate head right.
    R: P M TR P XVII COS IIII P P, Apollo seated left, branch in right and resting left elbow on lyre set on tripod.
    Rome
    3.31g
    19.6mm
    RIC IV 238A, RSC 242

JPeace$ likes this.
  7. robec

robec Junior Member

I was fortunate enough to have photographed a few of SkyMan's space memorabilia, but just a small portion of his growing collection.

Gus Grissom carried a roll of Roosevelt dimes with him when he became our second man in space. This occurred when he flew Mercury-Redstone 4 or Liberty Bell 7 into space for his 15 minute flight July 21, 1961.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gus Grissom became the first man to US Astronaut to fly into space twice when he commanded Gemini 3 into space on March 23, 1965. He made three revolutions around the earth. This time instead of a roll of dimes, he carried just this one.

In front of Roosevelt's chin you will see where Grissom carved GT3. SkyMan told me what the T stood for, but I can't remember.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, a $2.5 Gold Liberty was taken into space by James McDivitt aboard Gemini IV. This was the flight where the first Space walk by an American (Edward White) took place. McDivitt and White circled the earth 66 times in 4 days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chiefbullsit and JPeace$ like this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

One of my Morgan dollars has an interesting die gouge or dent right in the middle of Liberty's cheek, and I'll be darned if it doesn't look like one of the early space capsules.

Chris

Attached Files:

Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  9. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Here's my verdigris....Er Medal I have had for a while.
    DSC_8966.jpg DSC_8967.jpg DSC_8971.jpg

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  10. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

My kids gave me this token set which they purchased during their Florida trip a few years ago:

[​IMG]

Chiefbullsit, dwhiz and JPeace$ like this.
  12. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

13. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

14. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

15. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Really liking that one!

16. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Your little Giant medal is much nicer than mine! Love the design on it too!

17. lackluster

lackluster Junior Member

I have a couple sets of the young astronaut series. Nice gold and silver coins that can still be found occasionally.

Lack

18. robec

robec Junior Member

Here are a couple more pieces from SkyMan's space collection.

Both have been flown into space.

The first is a Flightline pin or medal from Gemini 10 flown by Michael Collins and John Young.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second is from Apollo 7, the first manned flight from the Apollo series. The flight lasted 11 days. The astronauts were Walter M. Schirra, Donn F. Eisele, and Walter Cunningham. I'm sure it was also the first time two Wally's were in space at the same time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dwhiz and JPeace$ like this.
  19. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

You did say coins dealing with space. Here is a Polish 20 zlotych commemorating a Polish cosmonaut. The other is a Soviet Union 1 rouble commemorating their space program.

Attached Files:

dwhiz likes this.
  20. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Well on the Apollo 11 theme i have this, regret i couldn't afford the silver one (this is pewter) I was 12 or 13 at the time :D
    021.jpg 022.jpg
    however on the space theme i also have this (1.4oz sterling)
    023.jpg 024.jpg

dwhiz and JPeace$ like this.
  21. roll searcher

roll searcher coin hunter

very nice coins and tokens everyone! I especially think that counterstamped Lincoln is cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted