Please post your Moesia, Istros coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Please post your Moesia, Istros coins.

IMO, I almost bought a fake at the last Westchester NY coin show. I passed on the coin because it had characteristics found on a bunch of fakes listed on Forum. The letters had a slight appearance as though they hade been punched. Yep, once again I almost fell for a well known fake that appeared in the Black Sea area or Bulgaria around 25 years ago. I initially selected the really sharp & high grade coin. I began feeling uneasy about the high grade coin & opted for this ch-VF instead. This one is in an NGC holder so at least some people (with better skills than me) have looked at it.

The Istros coin has been on the want list for a relatively long time. There are almost always examples to be found for sale so it is obviously a pretty common coin. I found myself selecting between three different VF examples at the Westchester show. That’s not including the two EF fakes I fortunately avoided. I got this one with the E between the eagle & dolphin and the A below. The dolphin’s snout is just off the flan.

Please post em if you got em.
    Istros Stater Obv 1.jpg Istros Stater Rev 1.jpg

vlaha, Eng, zumbly and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Istros Stater Collage WT best.jpg
    MOESIA, Istrus
    AR Drachm
    4th Century B.C.

5.80 grams,
    Obv: Inverted Heads
    Rev: Sea-eagle on dolphin IΣTPIH above, E between eagle & dolphin, and A below.
    Grade: gVF as confirmed by NGC with 5/5 strike and 2/5 surface.
    Other: Private sale January 2014

chrsmat71, Eng, zumbly and 5 others like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are many variations:
    right is up
    g00810bb0483.jpg
    left is up
    g00815bb2951.jpg
    dolphin right
    g00820bb1775.jpg
    fourree
    g00830bb0363.jpg
    1/12 stater
    g00840bb1727.jpg
    1/6 stater
    g00850bb1746.jpg
    barbarous 1/3 stater?
    g00860bb1868.jpg

chrsmat71, vlaha, zumbly and 7 others like this.
  5. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Mine is a common variety but in decent condition.

[​IMG]

Martin

Bing, chrsmat71, vlaha and 5 others like this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

eagledolphin a.jpg eagledolphin b.jpg

... I like the style and strike of my lil' darling, but I must admit that I wish the flan was just a wee bit bigger or the strike was a wee bit more centered, so the poor ol' dolphin had a full snout!! (poor ol' flipper)

=> but overall, I'm always kinda proud to post my precious!!

Bing, chrsmat71, vlaha and 5 others like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Doug => I'm always jealous when I see your "right" flying eagle (sweet coin)

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Yep, that is definitely a great coin. Doug Smith's 1/12 stater is the coin that interests me. I don't think I've seen the design that small (UNTIL THIS LAST SUNDAY). I was tempted to grab a similar tiny coin at the Sunday show but decided to research a little bit before buying it. What might be a fair price to offer for a VG example of the 1/12th stater? (I believe it is a 1/12 stater). The coin I'm considering is tiny & has an archaic appearance.

9. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Beautiful coin Collect 89. I'm glad you avoided the landmines.

All this talk about fake MOESIA, Istrus coins has me reconsidering my policy of not buying slabbed ancients. Of course most of my ancients at this point are still relatively inexpensive so I doubt fakes are much of a problem in the sub $500 range.

It would be good to have a list of "Top 10 most commonly faked ancients"

Just like with any other coin, I'm sure the likelihood of fakes increases proportionately with the value of the coin.

Thoughts?

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Fakes are abundant at all price levels. I bought a $50 coin that was then diagnosed as fake here at CT. I then found a perfect match of the fake at the Forum Website (Dr. Ilya Prokopov's fakes list). There is also a section at Forum that discusses basic fake diagnostics but Dr. Ilya Prokopov's fakes list has photos of known fakes.

Here is a link to the CT thread where I posted my new Mesembria coin and learned that it was fake: http://www.cointalk.com/threads/black-sea-area-mesembria-apollonia-pontika.235080/

When you are surfing the web, check-out the fake sellers list. There is a long list of ancient coin dealers that should be avoided. Here is a link: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=18502.0

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    RaceBannon likes this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Mine arrived in the mail today... I'm as happy as an eagle pecking a dolphin.

I never really took to this coin design until recently. This one sports a rather evil-looking dolphin... but just cartoon evil, mind you, not scary pagan evil like TIF's Silenus, or creepy weird evil like Steve's two-bodied owl. :D

istros.jpg

maridvnvm, vlaha, Collect89 and 3 others like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine was $53.50 in 1998. It is hard to imagine the appearance from just 'VG' and hard to figure the effect of 15+ years. I believe there are more of these coins on the market now so the price should not have gone up as much as some coins.

13. My Drachm
    Istros Drachm - low res.png
    My Obol
    048.jpg
    7.77mm, 0.42g

zumbly, maridvnvm, RaceBannon and 3 others like this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Tiberius--your drachm... like x10!

iamtiberius likes this.
  15. I would say it is definitely the highlight of my Archaic Greek collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted