Please help determine the cost and rarity of Russian platinum 3 rubles with double strike

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GlobeCoins, Apr 19, 2014.

1. GlobeCoins

GlobeCoins Member

Hi,

Today I bought Russian platinum 3 rubles 1832.
    Basically it's regular coin, but on closer examination noticed that the coin was striked twice on the both sides.
    Look at the picture (the picture is not the best), but you can see very well.

If someone seen the coin like this one and how much is it ?

Thanks in advance ,
    Leonid

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It appears to be struck from clashed dies. Before this coin was struck, the 2 dies ( top and bottom) came together without a planchet in between. The impression of each was transferred lightly to the other. Notice that the lighter impression is of the opposite side. It is very difficult to determine how many of the total were struck with these damaged dies, so you would have to go by researching any previous sales. Some consider it an error that is worth a premium, others consider it normal (maybe since it was 1832) and others would consider it worth less as they do not collect them. I think looking at eBay or other sites with foreign coins might help.
    Jim

GlobeCoins likes this.
  4. GlobeCoins

GlobeCoins Member

Hi, Thank you. Tried to see another platinum coins of this period but nothing found. Also checked all coin auctions, the coin like this one never appeared.

5. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Seems like many US collectors go nuts over US error coins, but I'm not sure that applies to coins from other countries. SiberianMan...where are you?

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

This particular type of platinum coin is already not cheap by it's own rights. Not too sure how much more you can get from the die clash but it's definitely a nice coin. A coin that I dream of getting but I missed my oppourtinity getting it when it was 300 dollars for a low F.

8. GlobeCoins

GlobeCoins Member

Today it's already about $3000 :)

9. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Platinum .950, weight - 10,36 g., mintage - 65746 pcs. Rather expensive coin - about $3000.

silentnviolent likes this.
  10. GlobeCoins

GlobeCoins Member

You are right this is the price for regular coin but I am looking for the coin like this one, with double strike !

11. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

is there any premium associated with clashed dies on these?

12. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that clashed dies are going to account for much of a premium. If you're looking for historical prices on that same coin with clashed dies, you're probably not going to find any as A) the market is so small and B) world coin collectors have less regard for die varieties and errors.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

A clash like this is not likely to add a premium to auction prices. However, in a direct sale, a dealer can most likely get a higher asking price because there will always be someone more interested in it due to the clash.

Draft saved Draft deleted