Photo Contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Blaubart, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I hear ya! I usually bring home a rock or two whenever I go out hiking or backpacking. I have a lot of "interesting" rocks, but I don't really have any "valuable" rocks.

I have an uncle who is a bigtime rockhound. He hits the road for weeks on end and comes back with thousands of pounds of rocks that he uses to make arrowheads and spearheads. He uses authentic tools and methods and the stuff he makes is virtually indistinguishable from real arrowheads, except that they're shiny new and he doesn't try to pass them off as authentic. He just appreciates the skill it took to do what they did back then and he takes pride in carrying on the craft. Anyone else who knows their stuff knows the amount of effort and skill that goes into making a 8" spearhead, and the heartbreak that comes when you accidentally break it in half after investing 40+ hours into it, and have the cuts on your hand to prove it.

One day another one of my uncles bought a few of those arrowheads you can buy at tourist traps and tossed them on the ground for his wife to find. She was sooooo excited that she found a couple of arrowheads. The next time she ran into my rockhound uncle, she showed them to him. It took him all of five seconds to say "Where'd you buy these?"

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Great photos all around everyone. There's already more responses than I thought I'd see by the deadline. Most are "like" worthy, but I take my duties as judge seriously, so I'm holding off until the deadline before I "like" any of the submissions.

This is also a good way for everyone, especially me, to get to know some of you. If you wouldn't mind adding a little information about where and when the photos were taken, that would be greatly appreciated.

Keep em coming!

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Cloud+Trails.jpg Cloud Trails cell phone photo.
    day after 7 tornado's 4/25/2011

5. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

At the entrance of the Mt. Baker ski area on a rainy summer day last year.

100_2560.jpg

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

chemtrails!!

7. ow9654

ow9654 Irish,British collector

Hey
    Here is a photo from Ireland!
    contest photo 001.jpg
    Taken on my yard (see the concrete below and gate half way up) :D It is half over-looking the border really in the distance is Co. Londonderry (Derry) in Northern Ireland, and to the right is a small hill in Donegal!Taken on a nice sunny day (for once) which was today 4/18/2012

8. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I want your yard... :)

9. ow9654

ow9654 Irish,British collector

You wouldnt want it if you knew the amount of work is put into maintenance, hedge cutting, grass cutting but its worth it :)
    I just looked at the photo theres some bad grass :eek:

10. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

My sister runs a farm for rescued horses. This picture is of two Arabians and I took it about a month ago.
    arabian.jpg

11. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

here's my entry... niagara falls at night... taken halloween 2011.

niagra at night.JPG

12. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

What does she do with them...adopt them out?

My Arabian, Ariel, is out of a rescued mare. Ariel was to be put down, shortly after her birth, due to some health issues (from the malnourished mare) so I 'adopted' her . Straight away then, at six weeks old, to MSU Large Animal Hospital. Went real slow with her for four years, to give her the time she needed to overcome her medical issues. Today, she is ten years old, she can do all the things they said she never would be able to do! She is a miracle. She had a strong will to live, which is what I responded to. The name, Ariel, means Lioness of God.

My Ariel looks a lot like yours, on the left in your photo, complete with 3 white socks.

:)

13. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Here's my favorite out of about 400 photos taken at Reno's Hot August Nights last year. My favorite Chevelle.
    chevelle.jpg

14. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Gosh, I love it Kookoo. I was hoping somebody will post a car show pic soon.

15. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Well buddy, glad I can accommodate you. It's one of my faves.

16. vtvick777

vtvick777 Member

I took this in my backyard a couple weeks ago. The robin was splashing about, just taking a bath when the sparrow landed next to him. The robin shot him this look and I can just imagine what he was thinking. "Can I get some privacy please!"
    IMG_0746small.jpg

17. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

This is a picture of my "wildlife" on a hot summer day!

2011-05-28 17.00.11.jpg

18. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

That is awesome Lucyray. I have the utmost respect for people who rescue and nourish animals back to health. My sister has been dealing with horses her entire life. She has twice visited Monty Roberts at his home. She basically takes in malnourished (mostly Arabian) and usually keeps them for a year or so. She has her main pack of 4 which she will always have, but overall there are usually 20-25 Arabians there at all times. Many of these horses were forcefully broke in and some have terrible rope burns upon arrival. She lives outside of Bowling Green Kentucky, and usually keeps them for about a year before carefully selecting a home. As much as I love them, I really don't know that much about horses (I live in Maryland). =0

19. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Meet Mr. Blue-Bird

Attached Files:

20. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I discovered that macro has other uses than just for coins!:smile

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      110.6 KB
      Views:
  21. LionelR

LionelR Supporter! Supporter

Great idea, blaubart!
    Photography is my only other hobby and there are some truly spectacular photos posted here... I'll add one of my favorites that I took 2 summers ago.
    You kind of have to blow it up to see the inchworm :)
    -L

2010-08-22-04.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted