Pet Peeves in the world of ebay sellers and coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

1. Sellers who claim they don't know anything about coin collecting and then claim in the title that it is "RARE," "Super Rare," etc., then often use a ridiculously high starting price.
    2. And as someone else said, "LQQK!!!" Seriously, why would that make you look?
    3. People who write in all caps.
    4. For some reason, it really annoys me when people describe British coins like this: "Georgivs Rex Dei Gratia" instead of saying "British 1 penny."
    5. People saying coins are silver when they are not.
    6. And when there is only one listing on eBay for the coin I need to finish my set and the price is totally ridiculous, not because it's worth that but because the seller either doesn't know any better or is trying to rip people off. That coin will sit there for years without a bid, but the person will just keep listing it at that high price.
    7. When I send someone from No. 6 a very reasonable offer for that ridiculously overpriced coin and they respond that they only negotiate on coins over $100.
    8. When someone buys my coin, then doesn't pay or communicate for a week, and I look at their feedback and every single one is "lighting fast payment!!!! OMG this person is the best ever!!!!" So why the heck aren't they paying me?

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Listings in the wrong section.

4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Here's another one:

Seller lists item as BIN with Best Offer option.

I, buyer, send offer.

Seller declines offer, no response, no counteroffer.

Umm...who learned to haggle like that?

NO, NO, NO, DO IT PROPERLY!! YOU GO TO FOURTEEN NEXT!!

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Perhaps the seller is using the auto-decline feature to weed out low ball bids. FWIW, I have never had a buyer accept one of my counteroffers

6. stldanceartist

Well, that's probably the case with this - although at $10 less than the BIN price, I wouldn't think it should be considered a "low-ball" offer...

7. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

It seems as though a lot of you sell on Ebay. Why not utilize this site? There is a For Sale Forum, and the ridiculous fees could be avoided. This would especially make sense for those that like to offer coins at some fixed price. I for one would enjoy having a large selection of coins to shop through when I visit Coin Chat.

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That depends on the original BIN price. I usually set my auto-decline at 30-40% below the original BIN price.

9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

EBay is always a site I will go to no matter how many other sites are out there because it has the most selection. There are two other auction sites I check sometimes, but if you need something specific, eBay is the only place to find it reliably. The same is true of CoinTalk. No doubt people sell some good stuff on here, but the odds of them selling the specific coin I need are not good.

10. stldanceartist

I have - but I'm only allowed to post once per week as a non-supporting member. Personal opinion: the fees are too high by about $10/year. Not complaining...just don't like to pay more than $20/year for any subscription...lol (the fees are $19/6 months and $29/year.) If I had a larger coin selling business I'd probably pony up...but as someone who gets coins in spurts (flea market purchases, yard sales, etc.) it's just a tiny bit pricey.

FWIW, I've had pretty good luck selling coins here.

11. DM1

DM1 Active Member

That's another one! Sometimes I surf for vintage items, and a lot of times there are listings for new cheap junk mixed in. I'm not looking for new cheap junk, I want old cheap junk! :yes:

I've never sold anything on there, but I feel for those of you who do. It's very biased towards buyers, making it really easy to screw sellers. That's unfortunate.

12. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

STOCK PHOTOS that DO NOT match item description.

Put up the pics of actual coin both obverse and reverse.

13. scott490

scott490 Member

Pictures of coins that are taken at a 45 degree angle to hide hairlines.

14. coin-aholic

coin-aholic New Member

1. Dealers that put up coins way above the price it normally goes for... If a coin sells consistently at $100, why in the world would you list it at $149.99?
    2. Dealers that won't negotiate... I have a dealer I have used before, and want to give them my business... but because they refused to go down a few dollars on their price, they lost my business. (I showed them a BIN price of $49.95 with free shipping.. their price was $54.99 with free shipping, and the refused to match it, even though I was a repeat customer, and told them I wanted to give them a chance to price match.)
    3. Lazy people (buyers and sellers) that do not leave feedback, or communicate.
    4. Scammers... I had one guy try to say he never got his coin, filed a claim, and then had to retract because I followed all the rules and knew it had arrived. This was an international buyer, and he had failed to notice I had used the more expensive postage option to protect myself (I ate the cost of postage because I listed it under the non-protected option).
    5. Pretty much everything else everyone has mentioned!

15. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

SELLER WHO SENT ME A MESSAGED LIKE THIS BUT WITH OUT ANY TRACKING NUMBER TO SHARE IF THE COIN I WON WAS REALLY SHIPPED. TRYING TO BE NICE BUT NEVER ISSUE ANY REFUND. HOW HARD TO ISSUE A REFUND?

yes i checked with them today they said it was sent. I am going to refund your money in full and you can keep the coins. this was a big hassel and i have no idea what happened to the package, when it arrives please let me know, and please keep the coins to make this deal right. I am sorry for the delay I hope this will make up for it when you decide to leave feedback. < SELLER MESSAGED on my EBAY Messaged Board.

Draft saved Draft deleted