Peace trio

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

IMG_1294.jpg IMG_1297.jpg Here are my trio of MS 65+ Peace Dollars, all with very light golden toning.

Jwt708, LionelR, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I would imagine that Peace dollars are more difficult to find as MS65+ than are Morgan dollars. These coins had such low relief that they get hammered in their grades if anything is wrong.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  4. Morgandude11

Oh, absolutely, Tom. Most MS Peace dollars (except for the 1921, high relief) are not super in terms of strike quality. They tend to appear mushy and lacking in detail, especially on the reverse--the eagle feathers and the perch are often fuzzy in MS 63 coins. That is why I specifically chose MS 65+ as a grade to seek for some of the common dates--it often appears far nicer than many of the MS 66 coins, which sell for a significant premium over what is often a nicer coin.

5. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I like the other two, but it looks to me that the 25 needs a quick dip. While I agree its original, I simply find the toning to be too distracting.

No insult intended or meant.

rzage likes this.
  6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Some beauties all right . Too bad they have such low relief for such a beautiful design .

Morgandude11 likes this.
  7. Slider

Slider Member

I've always loved the almost whimsical design of the obverse. Never cared for the eagle at rest. I've much preferred the eagle in flight or with wings outstretched. Beautiful specimens though.

8. Morgandude11

No insult taken. This is one of the coins where the toning looks much better in hand and in daylight. It is hard to photograph accurately.

9. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

That could be. I was simply responding to the coin in the photo sir.

I don't think, since we are on the internet, we consider this point enough. I have coins that, (ok I admit I suck at coin photography), look pretty bad in a picture. In hand, though, they have twice the detail and are not nearly so dark looking. OTOH I have seen absolutely gorgeous looking coins in photographs that in person look blah and lifeless.

rzage and Morgandude11 like this.
  10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I couldn't agree more. Heck, even the 1921 has strike issues...but not nearly as bad as many of the low relief years.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Too bad they couldn't strike them as designed , but too much pressure or more blows per coin wasn't feasible . Too tell the truth I like Teresa De Francicis' portrait better in the low relief ones . It looks more like her as she was quite a good looking woman . :)

Jwt708 and Morgandude11 like this.
  12. Morgandude11

Here ya go with a better picture--I used my EOS in Macro mode on this one, instead of my smaller camera. This is more like it looks in real life--the toning on the obverse is golden to coffee colored, and the reverse more golden. IMG_0486.JPG IMG_0487.JPG

Jwt708 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted