Pawn Stars penny buckets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GreatWalrus, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

That Confederate half was worth easily double what Rick paid, he said he'll take the first $500 that walks through the door, I'll give him 500 for that in a heart beat

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. riff

riff I ain't got time to bleed

4. 74Teen

74Teen Member

I have a friend who worked in pawn shops for many years. The really good stuff generally never makes it to the shelves...

5. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me at all. I am sure most get some decent items.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Maybe so but they don't come in often enough to make a weekly TV show about it. No one is going to tune in to watch them sit around waiting for the next guy to bring in the thousandth electric guitar and old amp to pawn while they wait for that one cool item a month or every other month that happens to come through the door..

And that is what you would get if they didn't stage the show

7. Pennypanner

Pennypanner Member

The information I have states that only four Confederate half dollars were minted by the Confederacy. The dies were used in the 1870's to reproduce the coin but they are not true "Confederate" coins.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Actually the Confederacy also struck nearly a million 1861-O half dollars using the regular Union dies. These coins struck by the confederacy CAN be identified from the 2 million struck by the State of Louisiana, or the 200K struck by the United States. One of the obverse dies used by the Confederacy for the 1861-O coins they struck is the same obv die that they used for the four Confederate States half dollars. 1861-O halves made using that obv die command an extra premium over the other five die pairs the Confederacy used.

9. riff

riff I ain't got time to bleed

only four of the altered die coins were struck. but when La. left the union, the made a crapload of the "confederate" halves with the US supplied dies. http://www.rebelstatescurrency.com/half_dollar.html

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

11. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Hoarding copper cents? Thats crazy talk...nobody does that. Must be totally staged :confused:
    Guy

12. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:eek:ff-topic:
    I have a good Army buddy that lives somewhere by I called him last night.
    Yup Hester shop he called A Dump. but closed up due a bankruptcy! Yup was the top money man on most of the shows I seen or made sound like he was?? that may why he saying that
    :eek:But he was on the Show last night????? Why ask Why?TV?

13. Red84GT

Red84GT New Member

I watched that episode the other day. I thought the half dollar sold too cheap but the guy has to make money.

14. Kip

Kip Member

15. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

Just watched the episode. There were shield cents on top. They must really assume the viewers aren't competent.

16. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

I'd say most viewers aren't competent.

17. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

I bet 95+% of viewers didn't know the difference ;)

18. 74Teen

74Teen Member

No doubt. I mean, how often do you see someone playing a Les Paul in a musical scene and it's very clearly a Stratocaster on the soundtrack?

Draft saved Draft deleted