Pamp Swiss 2.5 gram gold bar

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jiggysmb, Nov 30, 2013.

1. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

I recently came across a few 2.5 gram bars, in certified holders. They all weigh 4.1 grams each. Is this normal?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

are you factoring the weight of the holder? is your scale calibrated correctly?

4. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

Took it out of the holder and tried 3 scales. I didn't think the small bars were faked but they may be.

5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

faking the little ones is more profitable, because of your reasoning. people are more skeptical about 1oz bars.

6. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

how did you come across them?

7. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

Local pawn shop had a box of them, bought a couple to test out.

8. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Either they got scammed, or they are the scammers.

9. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

21x13x0.6
    millimeters

those should be the measurements

10. vpr

vpr Active Member

Definitely fake. I know there are 2.5 gram gold plated brass fakes that weigh precisely what you say they do. Yes, pamp suisse in certicards. And let me guess: the center of the packaging is crooked?

11. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

nope, packaging is fine, serial looks good and demensions are spot on. Only thing off is the weight. I guess most people dont remove them to weigh.

12. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

They fake EVERYTHING these days.

13. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

Pictures please

14. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

15. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

The sides and the serial don't look right. This is scary that counterfeiters make theses though.

16. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

In the case it was very hard to tell. If they had not weighed so far over, I would have never pulled them out and never known. I heard 1 gram bars are also being faked now, seeing all the fake morgans and eagles, you better have a test kit at all times.

17. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Got a pic of the assay card?

18. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Whats the weight? Is it 4.1 after taken out of the holder?

19. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree its scary how many fakes are out there nowadays. This is why I tell people to buy PM from trusted sources. Someone like APMEX or a good dealer like Lost Dutchman are not going to risk their reputation over fake bars, and they have the knowledge to weeds these out. Pawn shops, flea markets, etc either do not have the knowledge to distinquish fakes, or could be knowingly selling them.

I am cheap like everyone else, (my cousin says I will pinch a nickle until Tommie boy screams), yet sometimes in life its much better to buy from a trusted source. A "good deal" on bullion isn't if it turns out fake, eh? SHort of this advise I would say to actually STUDY the type of PM you wish to buy. Become an expert in it so you can spot any differences yourself. I might buy some junk silver at a pawn shop or someplace, but trust me I know what those coins look like, smell like, and sound like. I would be a hard mark for junk silver, because I have bought a lot over the years. Buy a chinese panda at a pawn store? Not on your life.

rockyyaknow and Yooper like this.
  20. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

@Tinpot, yes it was 4.1 grams out of the case.
    @medoraman, I understand and agree with everything you stated. I frequently buy pamp bars and have been for over 15 years. This was the first fake small bar I have come across and that was why I posted it.

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Ok, fair enough then sir. I just read too many time people buy things they are unfamiliar with from a pawn shop or flea market. That just seems dangerous to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted